Is This a sin?

I am planning on going to confession in a hour and a half but was wondering if I possibliy committed the sin of detraction? Here is the situation: I was talking to a friend and he asked me if i still talked to my ex Girlfriend who he also knows I said , " no she only talks about her new boyfriend all the time" I didn’t mean to hurt her character with that I was just telling the truth. Is that detraction or what should I confess that as if it is even a sin?
Thanks

I say if it’s bothering you, mention it.

The best thing to do is to ask your confessor:thumbsup:

I wouldn’t consider it a detraction. He asked you a question, and you responded honestly.
He is guilty…
“of detraction who, without objectively valid reason, discloses another’s faults and failings to persons who did not know them”- Catechism on the 8th commandment .

As far as I’m concerned, being asked a question by your friend, and responding truthfully, is an objectively valid reason.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.