Is this a valid confession or do I need to go back?

I went to a priest that told me masturbation was not a mortal sin after I confessed it, and he absolved me.

I thought the priest had to do what the church intended. how can he forgive something if he does not believe what the church teaches?

What if I had been to other priests since then, would those confessions have overwritten that one and I had been forgiven?

Should you ask a new priest you never been to before, if he believes all the church teaches and intends to do as the church does in the sacrament?

thanks

Regardless, the Sacrament works ex opere operato. When a priest, sealed with the indelible mark of the Holy Orders, acts in persona Christi and absolves you from your sins by the authority invested in him, in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, that suffices to immediately absolve you from your sins, because it is Christ who acts. And as long as the priest intended to absolve you, he had the intention to do what the Church does.

This, at least, is my understanding.

As for what he said, you must perhaps focus on the circumstances. Perhaps, knowing you and the details of your confession, or other circumstances, or by a special light, he understood that the grave act of masturbation perhaps in this case was not mortal sin because some condition was lacking. So you must not assume that he meant that masturbation is never a mortal sin. After all, Church teaching is very explicit on these matters: grave matter, full knowledge, deliberate consent. If the three are met, masturbation is a mortal sin. If not, it isn't.

Yes, it is valid. The priest intended to administer the Sacrament of Forgiveness to you. What his personal opinions are regarding the morality of certain acts is irrelevant.

Be at peace.

I think masturbation is a venial sin.

[quote="mikeeh, post:4, topic:316843"]
I think masturbation is a venial sin.

[/quote]

With full knowledge and deliberate consent it is a mortal sin and suffices to end in hell if unrepentant.

[quote="R_C, post:5, topic:316843"]
With full knowledge and deliberate consent it is a mortal sin and suffices to end in hell if unrepentant.

[/quote]

Ah yes, you're right. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortal_sin#cite_note-20
I guess most priests just assume young men can't always control themselves.

[quote="mikeeh, post:6, topic:316843"]
I guess most priests just assume young men can't always control themselves.

[/quote]

They clearly take it into account, especially in this world we live in, surrounded by lustful temptations :shrug:

[quote="R_C, post:2, topic:316843"]
As for what he said, you must perhaps focus on the circumstances. Perhaps, knowing you and the details of your confession, or other circumstances, or by a special light, he understood that the grave act of masturbation perhaps in this case was not mortal sin because some condition was lacking. So you must not assume that he meant that masturbation is never a mortal sin. After all, Church teaching is very explicit on these matters: grave matter, full knowledge, deliberate consent. If the three are met, masturbation is a mortal sin. If not, it isn't.

[/quote]

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

=js_cat3391;10425508]I went to a priest that told me masturbation was not a mortal sin after I confessed it, and he absolved me.

I thought the priest had to do what the church intended. how can he forgive something if he does not believe what the church teaches?

What if I had been to other priests since then, would those confessions have overwritten that one and I had been forgiven?

Should you ask a new priest you never been to before, if he believes all the church teaches and intends to do as the church does in the sacrament?

thanks

MY Friend:)

Don't be too quick to doubt what YOUR priest said.

The degree of culpability CAN vary so that habit MIGHT [not always] lesson the degree of guilt. Making that determination is WHAT Priest ARE trained to do. WHEN in doubt ASK for a clarification. Are you aware of the conditions that MUST exist for something to be a Mortal sin? FREEWILL w/o conditions attached is one of them. The Priest and God ARE on your side.

Masturbation is NORMALLY a Mortal sin; but conditions MIGHT:shrug: exist to alter that. ASK my friend: WHY?:) The priest is acting on behalf of God:

John 20:19-23 **
" Now when it was late that same day, the first of the week, and the doors were shut, where the disciples were gathered together, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood in the midst, and said to them: Peace be to you. And when he had said this, he shewed them his hands and his side. The disciples therefore were glad, when they saw the Lord. He said therefore to them again: Peace be to you. As the Father hath sent me, I also send you. When he had said this, he breathed on them; and he said to them: Receive ye the Holy Ghost. [23]
Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them; and whose sins you shall retain, they are retained.** Amen!

[quote="js_cat3391, post:1, topic:316843"]
I went to a priest that told me masturbation was not a mortal sin after I confessed it, and he absolved me.

[/quote]

It doesn't matter if the priest thinks it a sin or not. You confessed your sins and the priest absolved you. The priest must intend to absolve you of your sins (sin specific intention is not required). It is all valid. :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.