Is this a valid reason to miss Sunday Mass?

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I’m extremely sleep deprived right now. I went to bed at 10:00 p.m. It is now 4:00 a.m., and I haven’t closed my eyes at all. I tried. But nothing. Just laid there, awake.

So… now, I’m wondering if I should keep us home. Not sure if I should get behind the wheel of our car.

Is severe Insomnia a valid reason to miss Sunday Mass?

Check to see if there’s an evening/night Mass in the area. Get some sleep during the morning/day and go later. You could call it an adventure ^^

I do agree that it might be unwise to drive in such a state. If there is no evening Mass- do you have neighbors that could drive you, or a friend who you can go with?

I’d say it is, although I’ve dealt with it in the past so I may be a bit biased. I would always wait to see how I felt at mass time, then see if I could make it. When it was really bad, evening masses weren’t even an option because, by then, I had simply gone another 6-10 hours without sleep.

Sleep deprivation is as bad to driving as drunk driving. Stay safe, stay home until rested.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.