Is This Against Catholic Belief?

Would A Catholic Consider Any part of this to against their beliefs? Would A practicing Catholic disagree with any part of this? Would you disagree with any part of this:
Purpose Statement

In response to God’s love, grace and truth:

The purpose of ________________ is

to establish and advance at colleges and universities

witnessing communities of students and faculty

who follow Jesus as Savior and Lord:

growing in love for God,

God’s Word,

God’s people of every ethnicity and culture

and God’s purposes in the world. 
  • Doctrinal Statement
  1) The unique divine inspiration, entire trustworthiness, 

and authority of the Bible. 

2) The deity of our Lord Jesus Christ. 

3) The necessity and efficacy of the substitutionary death of Christ for the  

redemption of the world and the historical fact of His bodily resurrection. 

4) The presence and power of the Holy Spirit in the work of regeneration. 

5) The expectation of the personal return of our Lord Jesus Christ.*

*or:

The only true God, the almighty Creator of all things,
existing eternally in three persons–
Father, Son, and Holy Spirit–full of love and glory.

The unique divine inspiration,
entire trustworthiness
and authority of the Bible.

The value and dignity of all people:
created in God’s image to live in love and holiness,
but alienated from God and each other because of our sin and guilt,
and justly subject to God’s wrath.

Jesus Christ, fully human and fully divine,
who lived as a perfect example,
who assumed the judgment due sinners by dying in our place,
and who was bodily raised from the dead and ascended as Savior and Lord.

Justification by God’s grace to all who repent
and put their faith in Jesus Christ alone for salvation.

The indwelling presence and transforming power of the Holy Spirit,
who gives to all believers a new life and a new calling to obedient service.

The unity of all believers in Jesus Christ,
manifest in worshiping and witnessing churches
making disciples throughout the world.

The victorious reign and future personal return of Jesus Christ,
who will judge all people with justice and mercy,
giving over the unrepentant to eternal condemnation
but receiving the redeemed into eternal life.

To God be glory forever.**

I can’t put my finger on the specific thing which concerns me but after reading the entire post it felt to me like this had been written by or for Protestants.
The last part sounds like someone is trying to make up a new Creed which I think is wrong. Why not use the Nicene or Apostles Creed?

I agree - it does sound very protestant. The main reason I say this is due to point 1 in the doctrinal statement. In my experience, this is the first step in many arguments against the majesterium and the Catholic Church. Any Evangelical will tell you that the church has no authority to establish theology, doctrine, etc and that if it isn’t in the Bible, it isn’t so.

There is a very similar statement to this in the Salvation Army’s mission statement. I was recently offered a position on their regional board and turned it down because of the Anti-Catholic sentiment they had in their core beliefs. They may not be an Anti-Catholic organization, but their core beliefs condone that type of thinking.

Well to me ‘unity of all believers in Jesus Christ’ and the use of the word ‘churchES’ in the next line is a contradiction in terms. Jesus didn’t establish multiple churches.

I would say you are right there - we say it every Sunday - One holy Catholic and Apostolic Church.

That’s it. I agree with you.

Point 1 in the doctrinal statement concerns me deeply. It is quite typical for Protestants to speak of the authority of the Bible but to mean that the Bible has authority over everything, including Sacred Tradition. Watch out my friend! :slight_smile:

Point 1 in the doctrinal statement concerns me deeply. It is quite typical for Protestants to speak of the authority of the Bible but to mean that the Bible has authority over everything, including Sacred Tradition. Watch out my friend!

sure. I must agree with thistle. There is just something about how each part of this was written that has me chilled to the core. These statements were written by a Ministry (Not a Church according to them) and that these beliefs are fluent with the INTERDENOMINATIONAL movement on college campuses. That meaning that to agree with these statements means that we are PARAchurch, or alongside the Church. However, I find it compelling to think that if a group is claiming to be a ParaChurch, how can they be going alongside another church that Jesus never established and looking for proof that the ONE, HOLY, CATHOLIC, and APOSTOLIC Church doesn’t exist.

If it were Catholic it would have read the authority of the magesterium not the authority of the bible wouldn’t it?

Well, it would’ve read both - and added the authority of Tradition as well (they being the three pillars)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.