Is this allowed? Mass in another language

Hi all,

I need someone to tell me if this is OK. I had a horrible traumatic event happen on Mother's Day. I was out of the church for the past 9 years and I have no desire to hear the hoo hah about it. I appreciate others love the day and I am totally Ok with the parish doing whatever it wants. I am not going to sit there and have my heart hurt though.

Question: Is if OK to go to Spanish mass that day and fulfill my Sunday obligation? No I do NOT speak Spanish, that's the whole point. I have my devotional guide, which as a little homily in it and I can pray the rosary during the homily that for all of us who hurt on this day, the Blessed Mother will comfort us.

I just want to know if it counts because otherwise I'm going to Confession.

Thank you.

Additions to the Eucharistic Prayer for Moms

Yes, Si.

Thank you!

No problem. Latin is another language.

:yup::yup::yup::egyptian:

Sure. You can attend Mass in any language. In fact, I think it's important that all Catholics occasionally experience Mass in another language. It's a great way to experience the different cultures and heritage that make up our Catholic faith.

Of course! it's the same Mass.
Besides, before permission was given for Mass to be in the vernacular, it was all Latin, and most of the congregation did not speak it.

[quote="anp1215, post:6, topic:283297"]
Sure. You can attend Mass in any language. In fact, I think it's important that all Catholics occasionally experience Mass in another language. It's a great way to experience the different cultures and heritage that make up our Catholic faith.

[/quote]

I would add that this is the beauty of the Mass and being Catholic...it doesn't matter what language it is in...we know what is going on and can still participate. While visiting my mother in France I attended mass there and could not understand the readings or the homily but I knew when to say my participation parts which I simply said in English.

When my husband was stationed in Newport RI I went to visit him and we went to mass at his regular parish but at a different time than he usually did ( sat pm) all of a sudden to our surprise we hear a language that sounded a bit like Polish but we later discovered was Portuguese. It remind us of the universality of the Church and was rather fun as we looked at the readings in English and then based on the tone of the homily we discussed what the Priest might have expounded on. Discussing the gospel with my husband is always a welcome pass time for me.

Thank you so much for asking this question. Since the day my Mother died I've not gone to church on Mother's Day. Though most would not understand, it just rips my heart out. I've been praying for an answer to what to do this year now that I'm Catholic. I had planned to go to Sat evening Mass and pray that it wasn't as Mother's Dayish and Sunday will be. I have a good friend that plays the piano at the Spanish Mass here. He's been wanting me to come, even though I don't speak Spanish.

I will pray for you at Mass. I believe that by you posting this God has answered my prayer.

Please know that whatever caused your pain you are not alone.

[quote="Maryann_C, post:8, topic:283297"]
I would add that this is the beauty of the Mass and being Catholic...it doesn't matter what language it is in...we know what is going on and can still participate. While visiting my mother in France I attended mass there and could not understand the readings or the homily but I knew when to say my participation parts which I simply said in English.

When my husband was stationed in Newport RI I went to visit him and we went to mass at his regular parish but at a different time than he usually did ( sat pm) all of a sudden to our surprise we hear a language that sounded a bit like Polish but we later discovered was Portuguese. It remind us of the universality of the Church and was rather fun as we looked at the readings in English and then based on the tone of the homily we discussed what the Priest might have expounded on. Discussing the gospel with my husband is always a welcome pass time for me.

[/quote]

The universality of our faith is one of my favorite things about being Catholic. Just today I went to our city's Polish festival at a parish that serves the city's Polish population (which is not very large). I loved hearing the parishioners speaking Polish (I have never heard it spoken before in real life). They even have a Saturday school in which they teach the Polish language and history to the children. I'm so glad they're keeping their culture alive. To think about all that the Polish people have gone through, I'm sure this parish and the commonality of their faith is a great comfort.

[quote="Irishgal49, post:1, topic:283297"]
Question: Is if OK to go to Spanish mass that day and fulfill my Sunday obligation? No I do NOT speak Spanish, that's the whole point. I have my devotional guide, which as a little homily in it and I can pray the rosary during the homily that for all of us who hurt on this day, the Blessed Mother will comfort us.

I just want to know if it counts because otherwise I'm going to Confession.

Thank you.

[/quote]

It definitely counts. If you don't know any Spanish words, you might even learn some. Nothing wrong with that. Part of going to Mass is to learn.

I don't know much Spanish but I've even gone to Spanish priests for confession. It takes a little patience but it can be done.

Sometimes our Divine Liturgy is 50% or more in Ukrainian. That doesn’t mean I only half-fulfill my “obligation”.

Actually the Ukrainian is extra credit. :smiley:

If you wish to participate to the best of your ability, you can either make the responses in English in a low voice, or if the parish provides missallettes in the pew, you can follow along there and try the Spanish responses. Spanish is an easy language to pronounce, it is written precisely phonetically. Good luck / buena suerte!

[quote="ProVobis, post:13, topic:283297"]
Actually the Ukrainian is extra credit. :D

[/quote]

So if I go to a full Ukrainian Liturgy, I get the next Sunday off? :D:D

I am actually going so that I don’t hear the mother’s day hoo haw in English–I don’t speak a word of Spanish and I’d like to avoid all that. That way if the priest spends the entire homily going on and on about mother’s day I won’t even notice and I can pray my rosary during the homily. It was either that or go to Confession as I was not going to the mass to hear all that stuff.

I am very glad they do all the warm fuzzy stuff for moms, they deserve it–but for those of us who are abused children or who have other “mom pain” it’s a very hard day to deal with. I just can’t listen to it, I get panic attacks and upset. It’s a memory of being abused as a kid–so the less I have to deal with that the better. I pray you go to the Spanish mass–sounds like that could be a nice diversion for both of us.

Everything's allowed post-Vatican II. Didn't you know? It's the new springtime!

Get with it!

:tiphat:

I agree with everything you just said. (((hugs))) from across the pond.

I wanted to add, don't listen to people who may say just get over it and move on. Feel free to PM me if you want someone to listen. I'm heading to bed shortly. I'm here for you if you need me.

[quote="maltmom, post:18, topic:283297"]
I agree with everything you just said. (((hugs))) from across the pond.

I wanted to add, don't listen to people who may say just get over it and move on. Feel free to PM me if you want someone to listen. I'm heading to bed shortly. I'm here for you if you need me.

[/quote]

You too---and when someone tells you to "get on with your life" tell them you ARE getting on with your life and this is how you're doing it.

[quote="ConstantineTG, post:15, topic:283297"]
So if I go to a full Ukrainian Liturgy, I get the next Sunday off? :D:D

[/quote]

Well, that's between you and God. :)

It's not the Ukrainian so much but the extra work to try to understand it. Therefore the extra credit, if not from God, at least from all of us posters. :)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.