Is this allowed?

I know a person who is "catholic" and will be a baptizing a child here pretty soon she will be the godmother. Anyways my concern is that she says she is Catholic but she repeatedly goes against church doctrine stating it is man made and she is heavily influenced by protestant teachings like sola scriptura. She denies the sacrament of reconciliation, papal authority, sacred tradition, and basically anything she believes is "man made" like the lent season. She spends a lot of time studying protestant anti- catholic teachings she finds on youtube. Does the church see it as allowable for such a person to be a godparent for baptism? :confused::(

Perhaps your concern should be with the parents of the child and why they have selected an unsuitable godparent? It is up to them to choose the godparents, not you. The priest has a say if he really finds a strong objection. But again you cannot go to the priest to "rat out" the godmother of a child he is baptizing.

Sadly, many parents see choosing godparents as a way to honor a friend or strengthen family or social ties. Of course you are correct, it should be a faithful Catholic who will look over the child's spiritual growth. But if the parents decide otherwise, I don't see what you can do to interfere?

You should feel sorry for the child who has parents with such poor judgment!

Well I think the two families are related. I was concerned mostly due to the fact her family doesn't know she holds these views. It does make me sad for the child and since I know her true feelings about the church I feel guilty like if I was sinning by omission or something. I have talked to someone about it already and they said I should talk to the priest but like you said I don't want to rat her out. I have told her she should talk our priest so he can explain to her why we do what we do but her answer to me was that she doesn't trust anything the priest says because he is a man like any other man and he is wrong because Jesus never instituted these so called man made beliefs in the bible.

Perhaps you might try to educate the parents regarding the role and requirements of godparents?

In order to stand as a god parent, an individual must get a letter from their parish priest stating that they are in good standing with the Church. That's the only person outside of the parents who has any role in their selection.

:shrug:maybe the most charitable thing to do would be to pray for all of them.

[quote="Kennywood, post:6, topic:322100"]
In order to stand as a god parent, an individual must get a letter from their parish priest stating that they are in good standing with the Church. That's the only person outside of the parents who has any role in their selection.

:shrug:maybe the most charitable thing to do would be to pray for all of them.

[/quote]

I am a godmother to a nephew and there was no such requirement in my case :shrug:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.