Is this an acceptable fast?

I ate one slice of bread with peanut butter, banana, and cup of coffee this morning. For lunch I had a tuna sand which with plain tuna it was a 5 oz can with a yogurt. For supper my husband cooked noodles with stirfry veggies and shrimp and I ate some in a bowl.
Is this an acceptable fast? I didn’t snack in between and besides that one cup of coffee I drank water during day.

Kerri :slight_smile:

For a start we are only required to fast on two days a year - Ash Wednesday and Good Friday.
Fasting is different from abstaining from meat which we also must do on these two days and the other Fridays in Lent.
That means on these two days with regard to fasting you are allowed one normal size meal plus two smaller meals that must not together exceed on normal meal.

On any other days of the year fasting is voluntary and you can do that however you want.

Yes, it is acceptable.

Well since you asked, it does sound like a bit much. I would imagine the noodles with shrimp would count as a full meal. I would have either had the peanut butter/banana or the tuna/ yogurt as my 2 small snacks. I know that our snacks are not to add up to more than our 1 meal.

But then again, my idea of a full meal is going to be different then someone else’s. So your fast could be appropriate for you. :thumbsup:

For you, maybe. However, if this – in the normal context of grace68’s food intake – qualifies as “one meal plus two smaller meals (which don’t add up to more than a normal meal)”, then grace68 has sufficiently met the normal expectations of a ‘fast’, as it applies to Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. Whether is “sounds like a bit much” or not is besides the fact! :rolleyes:

As you can see, as you were typing away, I was adding to my post.

And why the rolling of the eyes? Do you think that is appropriate behavior on a catholic forum on Ash Wednesday of all days? The OP asked our opinions and I gave her mine. I, however, did not ask for yours so kindly do not respond to my comments anymore.

Oops… hit a nerve, didn’t I? :wink:

And yet, I was only “typing away” because you had already submitted the post, without any sort of disclaimer; thus, your post appeared to be passing judgment on the OP.

In all charity, then, I have a suggestion for you: until you’re done composing your post, perhaps you might consider clicking ‘preview post’ rather than ‘submit reply’. That way, no one will see an unfinished thought of yours masquerading as everything that you have to say…

And why the rolling of the eyes? Do you think that is appropriate behavior on a catholic forum on Ash Wednesday of all days?

Is passing judgment on a person “appropriate behavior on a Catholic forum on Ash Wednesday of all days”? :wink:

I, however, did not ask for yours so kindly do not respond to my comments anymore.

To steal a quote from a movie, “Lighten up, Francis”… :wink:

Hi Kerri,

That sounds acceptable to me.

Everyone is going to have a different opinion because everyone eats a little differently. As long as you have two snacks and one meal where the two snacks together are less than the one meal, then you’re fine.

If it’s really bothering you, or you’re feeling like you might have had too much, feel free to take it up in Confession.

God Bless!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.