Is this appropriate to do?

No.

First, not fulfilling a penance isn’t under “pain of sin”.

Second, priests can’t give penances that last in perpetuity. Penances are finite acts.

Third, there is nothing magical about the rosary. You can avoid sin with our without it. Don’t make avoidance of this sin contingent on some sort of compulsive routine.

Get some spiritual help. It sounds like you need some clarification on the role of penance in confession.

3 Likes

No, it means accepting that this temptation is something you are subjected to. It’s part of your nature. Accepting that is the first step to finding ways not to succumb to it.

A temptation is in fact a face-to-face encounter with God, if you accept the existence or the temptation and turn towards Him to help you deal with it, and to forgive you when you fail.

0 Likes

True, but neglecting ones penance is at most disrespectful, which I would not try to do. And while a Priest cannot give penances into perpetuity, they can give you one for quite some time.

I said not that the Rosary is magic, that’s quite a strange thing to say. But what I do recognize is the magnificent tool Our Lady has given us in battling against the Devil, strengthening ones will against temptations, and participating in the life of grace.

1 Like

It is grave matter if the penance given was for a moral sin. It’s not grave matter when the penance given is for venial sins.

0 Likes

What is your source for this? I’ve never heard such a thing.

-Fr ACEGC

1 Like

I heard it from a priests conference once.

0 Likes

It doesn’t really follow from what we teach about what grave matter is or one’s obligation to perform the penance after Confession. I’m not sure I would advise anyone that what you’ve said is the case.

-Fr ACEGC

3 Likes

Ask the priest. It is up to him to determine what your penance should be.

0 Likes

I have read it in the Baltimore Catechism, but I don’t know if it still works that way.

0 Likes

Where is it found in the Baltimore Catechism?

0 Likes

I can’t find so I probably was mistaken.

0 Likes

If I were you. I would pray one rosary of five mysteries and ask our Lady to help you with your vices :slight_smile:

0 Likes

You and me too, @PiusOfTheCross. Fifteen was good enough for Our Lady, and it’s good enough for me. Besides which, the Luminous Mysteries have always struck me as rather vague and meandering, lacking the depth and focus of the original fifteen. The last thing I need during prayer is another excuse for my mind to wander. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I’ve always thought that intuitively, but never actually seen any formal verification of that. Does the Catechism mention anything about pain of sin with respect to penances?

0 Likes

This is not the only way to strengthen ones will or participate in the life of Grace, and remember Scripture tells us to put on the WHOLE ARMOR of God.

Helmet of Salvation
Breastplate of Righteousness
Sword of the Spirit which is the Word of God
Shield of Faith
Having your feet shod with the Gospel of Truth

Every vice has an opposite virtue and the best thing is to work on fostering that virtue.

0 Likes

That’s too abstract to put to practice.

0 Likes

Really?

Be baptized and stay in a state of grace (helmet of Salvation)
Be righteous
As a soldier does, Have inseparable bond with Christ the Word Made Flesh and the written Word of God
Have Faith. Faith is a gift but we must make use of that gift
Spread the Gospel.

As for virtues and vice, if your vice is pride, practice humility. If it is gluttony, practice temperance and moderation.

0 Likes

For many with powerful temptations “practice” does not mean “execute” but rather “keep trying”.

Otherwise an alcoholic would be able to simply stop through sheer will with no support resources. AA was founded for a reason…

Monks will tell you that learning to master the virtues that are opposite to vices, takes a lifetime. Humility, according to St. Benedict, is a 12-step program, as there are 12 degrees of humility!

Major supports for those 12 steps are prayer, lectio and frequent reception of the sacraments.

0 Likes

closed #39

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

0 Likes

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.