Is this approved reading by the Catholic Church?

I just remembered about the Testament of Solomon as I was looking up demonology stuff for a trivia game I am making for my highschool RE class (I was looking up things like, Satan taking 1/3 of the angels, nothing evil xP ), when I ran across something I hadn’t heard in awhile, being Solomon was given a ring by God that would seal any demon on earth, and he used it to enslave demons and make them build his great temple… Ya, I have no clue on the origin and I am a bit to busy at the moment to do any research on it’s validity. So does anyone have detailed sourced info on this being approved as acceptable history to the Catholic church, or if it is meant to be read as a story like the Parables, or if this is phoney baloney faction written by a source not approved by anyone (Catholic or Jewish scripture or otherwise, as we only really took stuff from the Torah that applied to Jesus’ coming while leaving the rest of the Old Testament as side material on the Jews for our spare time should we choose to read it).

It is suspect but I don't know whether it's officially banned or listed as a prohibited book by the Catholic Church.
In any case, I really don't see how such an account (of Solomon, assumedly King Solomon, having a ring through which he can seal off or put away demons) serves to advance or nurture Catholic faith. It borders on superstition. Might make for a great plot a la Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
Good luck with that. Here's a link to news about an exorcist who is apparently quite active. a friend of mine first brought him to my attention. I'm sure there may better accounts and details, but here's a lead.

philippinenews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1581:more-pinoys-possessed-by-the-devil-says-manila-archdioceses-office-of-exorcism&catid=53:archives

[quote="Rykuu, post:1, topic:325245"]
I just remembered about the Testament of Solomon as I was looking up demonology stuff for a trivia game I am making for my highschool RE class (I was looking up things like, Satan taking 1/3 of the angels, nothing evil xP ), when I ran across something I hadn't heard in awhile, being Solomon was given a ring by God that would seal any demon on earth, and he used it to enslave demons and make them build his great temple..... Ya, I have no clue on the origin and I am a bit to busy at the moment to do any research on it's validity. So does anyone have detailed sourced info on this being approved as acceptable history to the Catholic church, or if it is meant to be read as a story like the Parables, or if this is phoney baloney faction written by a source not approved by anyone (Catholic or Jewish scripture or otherwise, as we only really took stuff from the Torah that applied to Jesus' coming while leaving the rest of the Old Testament as side material on the Jews for our spare time should we choose to read it).

[/quote]

What you described is confusing fiction, certainly not from any official teaching of the Catholic Church.

There are many such books that are confusing and thus harmful to the Church and the truth that is taught by her. The Church could not possibly have enough people to review all the games and books that do harm.

However, if we stay close to the Lord and read and study Scripture and Church teachings that guide us on the right path, then through prayer, Sacraments and our obedience to the Church we can more easily recognize that which is not from the Lord.

[quote="Rykuu, post:1, topic:325245"]
I just remembered about the Testament of Solomon as I was looking up demonology stuff for a trivia game I am making for my highschool RE class (I was looking up things like, Satan taking 1/3 of the angels, nothing evil xP ), when I ran across something I hadn't heard in awhile, being Solomon was given a ring by God that would seal any demon on earth, and he used it to enslave demons and make them build his great temple..... Ya, I have no clue on the origin and I am a bit to busy at the moment to do any research on it's validity. So does anyone have detailed sourced info on this being approved as acceptable history to the Catholic church, or if it is meant to be read as a story like the Parables, or if this is phoney baloney faction written by a source not approved by anyone (Catholic or Jewish scripture or otherwise, as we only really took stuff from the Torah that applied to Jesus' coming while leaving the rest of the Old Testament as side material on the Jews for our spare time should we choose to read it).

[/quote]

You need to stop this immediately ! We are naturally curious, but some things we should leave alone. We need to develop healthy interests, interests that are good, wholesome, and which will lead us to love God. This is an unnatural interest and will lead to no good.

Linus2nd

The phrase "is this approved by the Church" is kind of misleading because it implies that the Church has to make a formal judgment on everything that comes out of someones mouth, pen, or computer. As far as ancient writings go, the Church has defined what is canonical Scriptures. Everything else is not. Therefore, anything you read like The Testament of Solomon is not authoritative or "approved". One then can look at it on it's own merits (or de-merits) just like any other literary work of antiquity.

At this point, the Church would have you use some discernment. If you are uneducated or unbalanced in your faith, or prone to easily give credence to everything you read just because it sounds good, you shouldn't be going off in esoteric tangents. You need to learn your Faith first so you can recognize error-- what is spiritually of value and consistent with our Faith, and what is not. If you are mature, very well grounded and educated in your Faith and are not easily led into error, you can read just about anything (just as long as it does not otherwise somehow constitute an occasion of sin for you).

As far as the Testament of Solomon it appears to be a non-canonical Jewish/Christian text written between the 1st and 3rd centuries. It doesn't seem to be Gnostic in it's origins, although it seems to be popular with modern-day students of Wicca or "Majick". Mostly, it seems like one of those ancient texts that are versions of stories and old legends that someone felt the need to put into writing. There is no reason to believe there are any facts behind these stories, although, like the non-canonical Book of Enoch (quoted in the New Testament) it is possible members of the early Church were familiar with them.

The Testament of Solomon is Old Testament Pseudepigrapha; it can be found in a strong, reasonably-priced two-volume collection published as part of the well-known Anchor-Yale series. No less a scholar than M. R. James wrote about it several times. This particular work is unusual in that it appears to be of early Christian origin.

I would say that this would be more of scholarly interest than popular interest, but as you point out, it is certainly a rollicking tale.

HI Rikuu,

The list of forbidden books or "Index" does not exist anymore. Catholics are expected to use their judgement in choosing their reading. You could do much better than the Testament of Solomon, as pointed out above.

Verbum

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.