Is this classified as a perfect contrition

When someone goes to confession to seek forgiveness from the actions they have hence done with sorrow but they also do it partially so they can still go to heaven as long as its not the main cause of forgiveness. Instead the main focus is seeking of God’s forgiveness with a contrite heart.

Opinion: There is a bright side to everything. How can one possibly avoid noticing it, other than by being dull of wits?

Like you implied, if it was the primary motivation (I’ll repent so I get rewards) then it would be a problem. I can’t see how someone can avoid such knowledge that there is good things to come.

For me, I was able to answer this question and it has helped. Before I was a Christian, I thought: “God or no God, I’ll do what’s right, and I don’t need his handouts!” Now, when I wish to do what is right, I don’t have to worry that I’m doing it for the benefit of the kingdom of Heaven-- even though I acknowledge its goodness. If you are the one with this concern, try reasoning it out yourself. Suppose there were no God. What would you do? Run amok? Or hold (at least most) of the same values as you do now?

I totally agree. The process of forgiveness for me was that when I had a rough time it was mainly God who really was the cornerstone for forgiveness not the reward but forgiveness.

Perfect and imperfect contrition can co-exist and one does not negate the other.

In confession, any contrition is acceptable. The need for perfect contrition is only when sacramental absolution is not possible. In this case, contrition that is born from love of God would be considered perfect and sufficient for the forgiveness of serious sin (although Catholics are still bound to confess serious sins regardless of perfect contrition).

The word “perfect” is often misintepreted in this context. It refers to the type of contrition, born from love of God, rather than a need for that contrition to be complete or without any imperfection.

Note that imperfect contrition (eg fear of hell) is sufficient for a valid confession.

So either one causes the sin to be forgiven and still aloud to goto heaven?

Via sacramental confession, yes, either is sufficient.

Thanks for the information :slight_smile:

If one’s disposition is such that fear of offending God is sufficient for repentance, then the contrition is perfect. If fear of Hell is also required, then it is imperfect.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.