Is this confession invalid?

If I went to confession without making a very thorough examination of conscience, does it invalidate the sacrament? Sometimes in the past I've gone to confession for one or two specific mortal sins without taking much time to determine if there might be other sins that I've forgotten about or overlooked. Would I need to re-confess those sins or were those confessions valid even though I was lazy in my preparation?

If you went to confession honestly meaning to confess your sins, then ALL your sins are forgiven.

If you forgot something mortal, you should mention it at the next confession, but it doesn't mean that your absolution was invalid.

Of course if you intentionally withheld a mortal sin, then while the other sins have been forgiven you would still not be in a state of grace.

I frequently go into confession with a mental list of loads of things that I do wrong and then my mind goes blank and I come out realising that I've forgotten half of it. Don't worry about it. Contrition is the important thing. Forgetting isn't sinful.

Don’t worry it’s valid, just make sure to be careful with the mortal sins

I think it depends on just how non-thorough you were. I believe that the sacrament can be invalidated by gross negligence in examining one's conscience (though I don't have a reference, someone please provide one). If you honestly forget to confess a mortal sin and remember it later, you're required to mention it in your next Confession. I'd suggest doing a thorough examination of conscience now, to see if you did in fact forget any sins in your latest Confession. If you've been routinely negligent in examining your conscience you should talk to your priest about making a general Confession (all the mortal sins of your life since Baptism).

[quote="DexUK, post:2, topic:312554"]

Of course if you intentionally withheld a mortal sin, then while the other sins have been forgiven you would still not be in a state of grace.

[/quote]

This is not correct. See here: catholicity.com/baltimore-catechism/lesson31.html

"417. What happens if we knowingly conceal a mortal sin in confession?
If we knowingly conceal a mortal sin in confession, the sins we confess are not forgiven; moreover, we commit a mortal sin of sacrilege.

1. What must a person do who has knowingly concealed a mortal sin in confession? A person who has knowingly concealed a mortal sin in confession must confess that he has made a bad confession, tell the sin he has concealed, mention the sacraments he has received since that time, and confess all the mortal sins he has committed since his last good confession."

I frequently go into confession with a mental list of loads of things that I do wrong and then my mind goes blank and I come out realising that I've forgotten half of it. Don't worry about it. Contrition is the important thing. Forgetting isn't sinful.

Bring a list! I always do or I'd never remember everything. Plus it feels great to put it through the shredder afterwards :D. Absolved!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.