Is this correct procedure during Mass?

Sometimes I see people emulating the priest when he performs the Sign of the Cross upon his eyes and lips during Mass.

And almost everyone either holds hands or stands with their hands upraised during the Our Father.

I don’t recall where I heard it but I remember hearing something about the latter being a bit ‘squishy.’

I appreciate any answers you can give me.

:thumbsup:

I am not aware that there is a place in the Liturgy where the priest makes a sign of the cross on his eyes?

If you mean: Before the Gospel, when the priest signs himself on the forehead, lips, and breast, then the answer is: Yes, it is appropriate for the people to do so as well. GIRM 134:

1. At the ambo, the priest opens the book and, with hands joined, says, Dominus vobiscum (The Lord be with you), and the people respond, Et cum spiritu tuo (And also with you). Then he says, Lectio sancti Evangelii (A reading from the holy gospel), making the sign of the cross with his thumb on the book and on his forehead, mouth, and breast, which everyone else does as well…

As to your second question, this is debated *ad nauseam *in these fora. I’ll not join a new debate here, but suggest you use the search feature for either “hand holding”, “orans”, or similar.

tee

Thanks for the reply and the linkies.

You said ‘appropriate—’ does this also mean ‘necessary’ or ‘mandatory?’ I’m just looking to do the right thing, because our RCIA classes didn’t cover any of that.

I think the language of the GIRM speaks for itself: the priest … making the sign of the cross with his thumb … on his forehead, mouth, and breast, which everyone else does as well.

I know nothing I can add nor, certainly, subtract.

tee

I’m 65 and I’ve used these words when signing my self prior to the reading of the Gospel " May the word of God be in my mind (forehead) on my lips (lips) and in my heart (breast) all the days of my life. I thought the priest used these words as well… though I’m not sure.:shrug:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.