Is this correct?

Scenario: If someone worshiped an unconsecrated host, but thought it was consecrated.

This would not be a mortal sin of idolatry, would it?

To be a mortal sin, it must be grave matter, you have to have full knowledge, and you have to have full consent.

If someone worshiped an unconsecrated host, but didn't know it was unconsecrated, then I do not think it would qualify as a mortal sin. Correct?

(ps, I'm asking this because someone asked a question like this and that was the answer I gave them.)

[quote="Zenkai, post:1, topic:321628"]
Scenario: If someone worshiped an unconsecrated host, but thought it was consecrated.

This would not be a mortal sin of idolatry, would it?

To be a mortal sin, it must be grave matter, you have to have full knowledge, and you have to have full consent.

If someone worshiped an unconsecrated host, but didn't know it was unconsecrated, then I do not think it would qualify as a mortal sin. Correct?

(ps, I'm asking this because someone asked a question like this and that was the answer I gave them.)

[/quote]

Correct.

Objectively it would be idolatry ...one should not worship bread.

but no they did NOT commit a mortal sin.

Did they THINK they were worshipping Christ in the Eucharist? Then they weren't worshipping bread, right? They thought they were in the presence of Jesus. :shrug:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.