Is this even a sin?

I feel utmost ridiculous asking this but if you are lactose intolerant and you eat dairy not because you want to make yourself sick but because you like whatever dairy you are eating, what that be considered something? I mean I don't think it is

why don’t you just take a lactaid beforehand? :confused: problem solved.

but seriously, lack of self control in any aspect of your life could be considered gluttony, and if you can’t control your desire for dairy even though it makes you sick, you might want to take a second look at that!

A fault maybe? A misjudgment? A weak moment? I have a dairy issue, also. Lactaid does nothing for it. When I slip, I always pay for it with a sinus headache or a migraine. It took years to decide that it was not worth the pleasure of peppermint candy ice cream or sour cream on my potatoes.

That being said, I have mentioned in confession when I have poorly controlled my diabetes, not to be scrupulous but to acknowledge that I owe it to my Creator to take care of this body He gave me. Absolution covers even the sins we do not recognize yet. Follow the promptings of the Holy Spirit.

[quote="biblebrother234, post:1, topic:331221"]
I feel utmost ridiculous asking this but if you are lactose intolerant and you eat dairy not because you want to make yourself sick but because you like whatever dairy you are eating, what that be considered something? I mean I don't think it is

[/quote]

I developed lactose intolerance in my mid-30s (and may have had brief periods of LI in the 15 years before that - it just became persistent enough to diagnose that late). It is very difficult for me to give up the dairy I enjoy so much. I had to switch to "lactose free" milk but have not had any problem with aged cheese, yogurt or the small amount of cream I tend to put in coffee (though it's possible that the lactase in my milk provides additional benefit for my coffee).

I try to carry lactase tablets when travelling.

As far as I know, LI is not injurious, just inconvenient, so I doubt consuming non-treated dairy would be considered sinful unless it was to deliberately cause inconvenience.

[quote="biblebrother234, post:1, topic:331221"]

[/quote]

To respond to your question... Do you want to harm **your body in any way? Remember, self harm is a terrible sin... EVEN IF you enjoy harming yourself. As a person who has friends who self harm themselves (and they enjoy it), **I can say that yes... It is possible to enjoy harming yourself in any way. Remember that you have two types of health:

Spiritual and Physical

Each one takes care of each other. To me... I would avoid dairy products, even if I enjoy them as a Lactose Intolerant person. To me, my priority would be my health and well being. I want to take care of myself for the people who care for me. Like my parents, siblings, family, friends, acquaintances, and other people who rely on me. (I do not know the situation at your home, but please take this as advice)

Another benefit to taking care of yourself is the fact that you are able to do more things because you are healthy! Ultimately, if you are able to channel your energies into things that are productive for you as well as other people... YOU ARE benefiting yourself and others in ways unimaginable. YOU ARE practicing virtue by avoiding dairy products. God is simple right? There are so many ways that simple things become extraordinary. (As God is simple and extraordinary)

Who is the number one person who takes care of you and loves you the most? Well... GOD DOES! So don't harm yourself even if you enjoy it. IT IS A SIN if it does you harm to consume these dairy products.
Pray for me/ know that I pray for you.

I hope you have a relaxing stress free day, no matter what may burden you.... God Bless.

Of course, your conscience also has a say... (Take that phrase as a grain of salt)

It depends. Is there a good chance that it will cause injury to your health, if so then yes. If however it would just cause you pain, but not injury, then it’s not immoral.

i developed abit of LI probably from not drinking cow milk for years. i can't eat dairy fine but not actual milk. lactaid milk worked great for me. but we are supposed to take care of ourselves and that is a big problem for me. i didn't realize in the past that is a serious sin to not care for our health and i am diabetic. it is something i need to work on...among other things.:o

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.