Is this gluttony?

Is it gluttony to make your food more pleasurable to eat such as using toppings or the microwave to heat it up?

:ehh:
Yes it is.

Using toppings, like sprinkles, salted caramel, lemon pepper, and then putting them in the microwave is to be done at your own risk. How dare you try to make your food taste better and then actually heat it up.

Altough not sure, gluttony is not a sin per se, IMHO it is something that causes to sin, so just ask yourself what sin do you commit when you do that?

Actually, isn’t Gluttony one of the traditional Capital Sins? Didn’t Dante identify a Circle of Hell where people went who heated-up leftovers?

Seriously: NO, making reasonable quantities of food more palatable by dressings, toppings, or heating them up is most certainly not gluttony or sinful. What a “reasonable” quantity of food is would be left up to one’s conscience, although such would likely be different for a 15-year-old boy vs. a 65-year-old lady. No one should be condemned for not wanting to eat cold leftovers.

Gluttony is one of the seven deadly sins. But I do not believe seasoning or heating should be considered part of gluttony. I believe that overeating … excessive consumption would better be defined as gluttony.

If you choose not to heat or season food, this could be considered a sacrifice (for Lent or special circumstance).

Think logically. If what you describe is indeed a gluttonous capital (deadly) sin, then what hope is there for any of God’s children?

Gluttony is an excessive indulgence in food and drink. Thomas Aquinas describes gluttony as eating too soon, too expensively, too much, too eagerly, or too daintily. Simply making your food more pleasurable to eat in the way you described is not in and of itself gluttony.

My Dad always said if you overeat or overdrink to the point that you become sick to your stomach, that is gluttony.

No,that’s not gluttony.when you over eat now that’s gluttony it it’s only a venial sin and when you go to Mass. on Sunday and say the prayers for sins they are forgiven.GodBless!

While the OP’s post obviously boarders on the ridiculous. I wish to know what power or authority you have to declare a capital sin venial?

if this was a sin that pretty much all of south Louisiana would be living in a perpetual state of sin.

As would the pope if he dared to eat a “hot pocket” or some Pizza rolls. Unless he ate them frozen.

Which begs the question, how about Popsicles? is it gluttony to eat them cold?:rolleyes:

It’s not my authority Hoosierdaddy.It is in the Catechism of the Catholic Church p.457 #1866.I would never say anything on here unless I had proof.God Bless!

Here is the quote.

1866 Vices can be classified according to the virtues they oppose, or also be linked to the capital sins which Christian experience has distinguished, following St. John Cassian and St. Gregory the Great. They are called “capital” because they engender other sins, other vices.138 They are pride, avarice, envy, wrath, lust, gluttony, and sloth or acedia.

Am I missing the part where they are venial and you have the authority to judge that?

You declared it to be only venial as if in all cases. Where is your proof? And by what authority. Now that I know you would not have said that with out proof.:wink:

Where are these:

pride, avarice, envy, wrath, lust, gluttony, and sloth or acedia.

Declared venial?

Pg.458 #1876 - The repetition of sins- even venial ones - engenders vices, among which are capital sins.
Pg.457#1866- Vices can be classified according to the virtues they oppose,or also be linked to capital sins which Christian experience has distinguished, following St.John Cassian and St.Gregory the Great. They are called capital because they engender other sins,other vices.They are pride,avarice,envy,wrath,lust,gluttony, and sloth or acedia.
I just took this out of the Catechism of the Catholic Church.Not saying any more that my proof.God Bless!

You are saying more than the Church. yes certain sins can be venial. But you stated that gluttony IS venial. So is lust also a venial sin? How about pride?

Can gluttonous behavior be venial. Yes. But you do not have the power to declare that. Nor do you have the power to redefine what venial and mortal are. You are mistaken, you could just say oops, I meant to say COULD be venial. Either way I have no idea why you would defend this little point. You are wrong, just admit it and say thank you.

Here was your first post in which you say:

when you over eat now that’s gluttony it it’s only a venial sin

You are cherry picking the CCC
Which is not a good idea.

Here are some explanations which might help you understand correct terminolgy. I do not wish to pick on you but it is not our place to tell another if their sins are mortal or venial. It is quite important to use and understand terms correctly which I think you may not be doing. There is not “prayers for the sins” in Mass. There is a Penitential rite. And yes, venial sins can be forgiven here. And I think your use of mortal or venial is incorrect.

So here are some easy explinations that are on point for you.
ewtn.com/vexperts/showmessage.asp?number=352297

and
newadvent.org/cathen/06590a.htm
You will be happy to read this:

Gluttony is ***in general a venial sin ***in so far forth as it is an undue indulgence in a thing which is in itself neither good nor bad. Of course it is obvious that a different estimate would have to be given of one so wedded to the pleasures of the table as to absolutely and without qualification live merely to eat and drink, so minded as to be of the number of those, described by the Apostle St. Paul, “whose god is their belly” (Philippians 3:19). Such a one would be guilty of mortal sin.

emPHAsis mine:

Now it seems semantical to argue over the fact that you did not include a qualifier such as “in general” or “can be” or “is often” Before you state that it is venial. But, it is kind of a big deal when dishing out advice on a public forum on if one would need to confess mortal sins.

Sorry to be what appears to be nitpicky, but it is actually an important distinction.

Unless you wish to take culpability for others sins by declaring them venial or mortal.:shrug: That is what a conscience, and a confessor are for.:wink:

Enjoying God’s creation–including the many yummy things He has given us–is not gluttonous. Psalm 104 celebrates God the Creator and Provider:

“14 You cause the grass to grow for the livestock and plants for man to cultivate,
that he may bring forth food from the earth
15 and wine to gladden the heart of man, oil to make his face shine and bread to strengthen man’s heart.”

Food toppings and heating up are not specifically addressed, but “wine to gladden the heart of man” says to me that God wants us to enjoy the things we consume–in a proper, moderate manner, of course. I cannot think of any bits of the Bible that condemn enjoyment of food, though of course there is plenty of warning against making your god your belly.

you are misreading #1876. What that says is that repetition of venial sins engenders or brings about, vices. So when you repeat venial sins, could be a very minor venial sin, the repetition of that sin leads to vices, which are capital sins.

Gluttony is of grave matter, meaning if someone does it with deliberate intent and full knowledge they are committing a mortal sin. Only way gluttony is not a mortal sin is if one of the other two requirements for mortal sin is not met. For example someone is forced to over eat, someone thinks overeating is ok, etc.

Gluttony is not necessarily a mortal sin, or even grave matter. It is only grave matter if it causes serious damage to your health, if you make a god out of your stomach, if it seriously endangers you from doing your duties in life (ie: getting drunk or by overspending on fancy food when your family so desperately needs the money),if it causes you to commit a mortal sin/grave matter sin, or anything like that.

Otherwise, it’s usually not grave matter.

Only posting in case scrupulous people look at this thread. :wink:

Link: littlestsouls.wordpress.com/2013/08/12/clarity-for-scrupulous-souls-simple-explanations-of-grey-sins/

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.