Is this is the truth or just a baseless rant against the Pope?

I saw this article online and was curious as to what everyone thougt. There are some very harsh accusations against the Pope and Catholic Church, i was wondering if anyone heard anything simular and is there any truth to it. I’m in the process of considering becoming a Catholic so any info would be greatly appreciated

God bless
Bev

You would have to provide a link to the article in order for it to be read and evaluated. :slight_smile:

impantokratoros.gr/PaulBallaster_Convolier.en.aspx
sorry, my bad, i thought i did it

First of all, to the Roman Catholics, the Christian Church “is nothing more than an absolute monarchy” whose monarch is the Pope who functions in all her facets as such.

Yeah, right… :rolleyes:

=Bev17243;7765157]I saw this article online and was curious as to what everyone thougt. There are some very harsh accusations against the Pope and Catholic Church, i was wondering if anyone heard anything simular and is there any truth to it. I’m in the process of considering becoming a Catholic so any info would be greatly appreciated

God bless
Bev

Hi Bev;

Even without seeing it; keep in mind that there are literally THOUSANDS of non-catholic-Christian denominations BOTH seeking the truth [perhaps even unaware of it?] and fighting for membership.

The CC is the LARGEST; the Oldest; the Best informed ??? ought to be anyway], so we are, and have always been the BULLS EYE of everyone elses TARGET :slight_smile: Because we DO have THEE singular TRUTHS on ALL MATTERS of Faith-Belief and Morals; they have to discredit us; to have any foundation for there positions.

Do as you did: ASK if your unsure. But know that nearly 100% ofthe time it’s false; and often false delibertly!

Matt.5 Verses 11 to 13 "Blessed are you when men revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so men persecuted the prophets who were before you.
"You are the salt of the earth; but if salt has lost its taste, how shall its saltness be restored? It is no longer good for anything except to be thrown out and trodden under foot by men.

God Bless,
Pat

Things that jumped out early:
“Papism.”
“…happened to come across an article…”
“Inquisition… dating back to 1647.”

Referring to the Roman Catholic faith in a derogatory manner as “papism” ia akin to calling non-catholic communities paganism. I doubt many sincere and honest people would do that.
Further, the author never cites the “article” for readers to examine. Maybe he did; I quit reading about halfway through. He looses style points from me for lack of specifics; state your case plainly, then provide the details, is the style I prefer.
He then goes on to present anectdotal observations as evidence. What he said may be true – at least to him – but if his argument is intended to convince others, he should present something more substantive than hearsay.

My antenna goes a little higher when I see the word Inquisition or a date more than a couple hundred years when referencing some document. The author – who correctly points out there are a lot of inauthentic or downright forged documents out there – claims to have found documentation supporting the “article”, but doesn’t provide that, either.

He claims the Church “condemned and anathematized any one who dared deny that the Apostle Paul during his entire apostolic life, was totally subordinate to the ecclesiastic monarchal authority of the first Pope and king of the Church, namely the Apostle Peter.”

Those are his words, not the Church’s, which as noted, he didn’t provide. True, Peter was “the rock” on which the church was built, and I think Paul generally deferred to Peter in the early church. But in terms of scriptural validity, many (if not most) of the NT was written by Paul or his associates. So Paul’s alleged “subordination” is a narrow subjective judgement, imo.

I’ve heard a lot of anti-catholic screeds, but never this one specifically. Personally, I would ignore this guy’s take on things. The author may represent a tiny Orthodox sect for all I know; maybe there is an Orthodox poster who can help us. But this may be telling:

Ecumenism, the greatest heresy of the twentieth century, preaching the dogmatic and religious syncretism(blending) and tending towards a single type of pan - religion for the equalization of the Christian confessions and religions, becomes the most lethal danger to Orthodoxy.

impantokratoros.gr/Ecumenism.en.aspx

St. Paul is held in the highest regard by the Church. Didn’t we just celebrate his 2,000th birthday?

thank you, Tony for input. Some of the things you said triggered same reaction in me as well so…I have seen plenty of false anti-Catholic info and its pretty hard to sort truth from fiction. I’m grateful for all the knowledgable folks on this forum:)

In order to stay out of the Catholic Church the Papacy will always be the First target; the church like any human being has had its highs and lows spiritually but we believe that The Holy Spirit protected the Church throughout all maintaining the true deposit of the Faith.

With 2000 years of history and a membership of HUMANS there will be plenty in history that the Church won’t be proud of but remember even Peter who was to be the foundation of the Church denied Christ 3 times so is it a surprise that there have been times the Church has struggled through but like Peter it has struggled through.

I’m just surprised its taken you so long to find strong anti-papist retoric out there on the inter web :smiley:

this sort of reminded me of how in the movies there is always a “Catholic Church conspiracy” or “Vatican conspiracy”-i guess, Lutheran or Presbytarian or Episcopalian conspiracy just doesn’t have the same ring to it…:smiley:

=LtTony;7765476]Things that jumped out early:
“Papism.”
“…happened to come across an article…”
“Inquisition… dating back to 1647.”

Referring to the Roman Catholic faith in a derogatory manner as “papism” ia akin to calling non-catholic communities paganism. I doubt many sincere and honest people would do that.
Further, the author never cites the “article” for readers to examine. Maybe he did; I quit reading about halfway through. He looses style points from me for lack of specifics; state your case plainly, then provide the details, is the style I prefer.
He then goes on to present anectdotal observations as evidence. What he said may be true – at least to him – but if his argument is intended to convince others, he should present something more substantive than hearsay.

My antenna goes a little higher when I see the word Inquisition or a date more than a couple hundred years when referencing some document. The author – who correctly points out there are a lot of inauthentic or downright forged documents out there – claims to have found documentation supporting the “article”, but doesn’t provide that, either.

He claims the Church “condemned and anathematized any one who dared deny that the Apostle Paul during his entire apostolic life, was totally subordinate to the ecclesiastic monarchal authority of the first Pope and king of the Church, namely the Apostle Peter.”

Those are his words, not the Church’s, which as noted, he didn’t provide. True, Peter was “the rock” on which the church was built, and I think Paul generally deferred to Peter in the early church. But in terms of scriptural validity, many (if not most) of the NT was written by Paul or his associates. So Paul’s alleged “subordination” is a narrow subjective judgement, imo.

I’ve heard a lot of anti-catholic screeds, but never this one specifically. Personally, I would ignore this guy’s take on things. The author may represent a tiny Orthodox sect for all I know; maybe there is an Orthodox poster who can help us. But this may be telling:

Ecumenism, the greatest heresy of the twentieth century, preaching the dogmatic and religious syncretism(blending) and tending towards a single type of pan - religion for the equalization of the Christian confessions and religions, becomes the most lethal danger to Orthodoxy.

impantokratoros.gr/Ecumenism.en.aspx

St. Paul is held in the highest regard by the Church. Didn’t we just celebrate his 2,000th birthday?

Why is it so difficult to comprehend that Christ [who by the way is a perfect God], only Willed; desired; instituted; protects and remain in ONE…

One Church
One Faith
Based on One new Covenant? :shrug:

John 10:16 And I have other sheep, that are not of this fold; I must bring them also, and they will heed my voice. So there shall be one flock, one shepherd.

Acts.20:28 “Take heed to yourselves and to all the flock, in which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to care for the church [SINGULAR] of God which he obtained with the blood of his own Son. “

1 Cor. 1: 10” I appeal to you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree and that there be no dissensions among you, but that you be united in the same mind and the same judgment.”

Eph. 2:19-20 “So then you are no longer strangers and sojourners, but you are fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God, [singular] built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus himself being the cornerstone, in whom the whole structure is joined together and grows into a holy temple in the Lord; [singular] in whom you also are built into it for a dwelling place of God in the Spirit. “

**Eph. 4: 4 -8“**There is one body [Only One Church] and one Spirit, [Only One set of beliefs] just as you were called to the one hope that belongs to your call, one Lord, [Only One God] ONLY one faith, [Only One set of doctrine and dogma] one baptism, By water in the Trinity] one God and Father of us all, who is above all and through all and in all. But grace was given to each of us according to the measure of Christ’s gift. "

God Bless,
Pat

I’ve never seen an Orthodox POV like this. It looks like a fundamentalist putting on Orthodox clothing.:mad:

Jack Chick look-a-like for sure.

It just makes me wonder how is he going to keep the Church is one without a leadership. Did not the Apostles declared authority to teach and demonish anyone who diverged from the Faith of the Apostles?
He is jsut another one who rebeled against the authority of the Church. nothing new there. God calls into obedience to His Church and not what we believe it should be.

it is a monarch institution that is why Jesus called it a Kingdom. Is it not?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.