Is this job morally permissible to take?

Here is the situation: I recently interviewed for positions at a company that supports research trials. My role would be in the office–handling data for the research projects, quality checking, helping people use the software, etc. I interviewed with two different projects. One is involved with vaccines, the other with children’s pharmaceuticals. I am aware that there are ethical issues related to vaccines–namely, that some vaccines were initially created using cells from aborted babies. Now, I have been offered the job, and they asked me whether I had a preference for either project. I said I did not.

My problem is, is it morally wrong for me to not have expressed a preference for the non-vaccine project? To be honest, I liked the people on the vaccine project much better and felt like I would like their work environment a little better than the other project. I understand that my cooperation with evil would be only remote material cooperation, but since I have another alternative (though a less attractive alternative), is it wrong for me to take the vaccine position? I should also note that I do not know which vaccines are specifically being researched, and I do not know whether there are any ethical issues that would come up on the children’s pharmaceuticals project.

At this point, I suppose I could e-mail the HR person and tell him that I have suddenly changed my mind and now do have a preference, though that might be odd considering he asked me a week ago at the interview and again today and I said I didn’t. I don’t want to do that unless I am morally obligated to do so. I’m actually quite stressed about this, and the happiness of finally being offered a job after months of unemployment is being destroyed by my anxiety over this.

Take either job,

Catholics are free to administer and receive all vaccines that I am aware of.

You may find this link helpful:

Particularly then end where the Vatican says that it is morally permissible to use these vaccines.
rtl.org/prolife_issues/LifeNotes/VaccinesAbortion_FetalTissue.html

Here is another very thorough statement from the Vatican on this issue that I found online:

immunize.org/concerns/vaticandocument.htm

I may be wrong, but if there is an alternative vaccine, aren’t we supposed to choose the alternative? That is where I’m having trouble–I have an alternative job, but I don’t know if this is serious enough that I would be obligated to choose the other job. I may just be being scrupulous, but I also don’t want to take that chance that I’m not!

I think you are ok either way.
Good luck
Praying for you

C.

Custódi nos, Dómine, ut pupíllam óculi.
Sub umbra alárum tuárum prótege nos.

I think the fact that the babies were previously aborted and not aborted for purpose of vaccine is a big part of the moral question.

The pro life uses images and videos and stories of abortion in a good way to stop it. Likewise using a good product that comes from the tragedy of abortion indirectly should be ok.

I would be REAL hesitant to make this assertion. It is still the body of an innocent human who was killed. They didn’t consent to their killing and didn’t consent to their body being used for experimentation. We can’t treat human bodies with disrespect. And we must also be careful that we aren’t creating a "market’ for such products. Otherwise you are just paying someone else to carry out a sinful act.

To the OP, unless you have direct knowledge about them using immoral techniques, I would think you were free to accept the job. You can’t intentionally remain ignorant, but you also don’t have to go to extreme research to find information. I would research the company (perhaps through reputable pro-life sources), and I would also just ask them if they do such testing/procedures.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.