Is this list accurate?

I was unsure where to post this, because the list is really differences of what are required beliefs that include sacraments, I put it here.

Marty Rothwell, an author on a Roman Catholic site “Christ’s Faithful People,” suggests that prior to the Protestant Reformation in the early 16th century, all Christians were expected to believe in many key doctrines.

Some of these are still shared by most Protestants:
1)"God the Son is of the same substance and nature as God the Father."
2)The Trinity.
3)Jesus is fully God and fully human.
However, there are also beliefs not shared by most Protestants, or not shared to the same extent:

The Body and Blood of Christ are present in the Eucharist.
The Apostolic Succession.
Beliefs are grounded in both the Bible and church tradition.
The Holy Spirit guides the Church away from error.
The effects of baptism.
Believers are saved by Grace and faith.
Salvation can achieved and later lost.
Baptism of infants.
The Deuterocanonical books / Apocrypha form an integral part of the Bible.
Clergy are restricted to males.
The Pope is the head of the Christian church.
Canonization and veneration of saints.
Effectiveness of the prayers of deceased saints.
Confession of sins to a priest.
Penance is needed after sinning.
Purgatory as the destination of many persons after death.
Prayers for the dead are effective.
Seven sacraments of: Baptism, Confirmation, Confession, Communion, Marriage, Holy Orders, and Extreme Unction.
Veneration of the Virgin Mary.
Liturgical worship.
Images are useful aids to worship.

I got this from religious tolerance.

I’m not sure what you are actually asking.

It is true that Catholics and Protestants share a lot of Truth in common.

It is likewise a fact that there are many true things that non-Catholic Christians – collectively and individually – reject, that the Catholic Church affirms.

Many items of this latter set are listed, or at least related to, the items on your second list.

The list is not exhaustive, I’m sure. And on a technical level I could quibble with the way some of the items are phrased. Is it “accurate” – well, sure. But without knowing what the purpose of the list is, I cannot give an opinion as to whether it is “accurate enough.”

Regards,
Joe

I have no idea what the purpose is other than what he says.
It just looks like a list of what people had to believe before protestant reformation. I think some things should not be in there, because there are protestants who do embrace to some degree some of those things still. So, I just wondered if he left out anything big/or small but should be on the list.

Yes, the list is pretty accurate.

closed #5

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.