Is this liturgical abuse?

Today at mass we had a visiting priest celebrate. He came asking for donations for some type of poor fund. Before the liturgy of the word began, the lector went up to the pulpit to read, but before he could speak, the priest but in. He talked for nearly 5 minutes about what the scriptures were going to be speaking of. When the time for the homily came, he spoke for over 40 minutes, going against what my pastor wished. (Today was graduation day for the local high school and a lot of the parishoners needed to go there.) Now the really sketchy stuff begins. At the liturgy of the Eucharist he began making his own prayers, thankfully he said the Epiklesis correctly. He read the words of consectration correctly, but there was no elevation. Instead he raised the gifts before the words and held them up. (That really pissed me off) The rest of the mass was pretty much normal. Have I witnessed first hand liturgical abuse? My pastor was fuming, the place reeked of modernism.

Are you talking about Peter’s Pence?
Thats one of the few good things that the British gave us.

[quote=Catholic Dude]Are you talking about Peter’s Pence?
Thats one of the few good things that the British gave us.
[/quote]

No it was not Peter’s pence. My concern is not over the donation, it is over the liturgy.

Oh, sorry. Here is some stuff I remember when I read the
General Instruction of the Roman Missal:

1. It is also up to the priest, in the exercise of his office of presiding over the gathered assembly, to offer certain explanations that are foreseen in the rite itself. Where it is indicated in the rubrics, the celebrant is permitted to adapt them somewhat in order that they respond to the understanding of those participating. However, he should always take care to keep to the sense of the text given in the Missal and to express them succinctly. The presiding priest is also to direct the word of God and to impart the final blessing. In addition, he may give the faithful a very brief introduction to the Mass of the day (after the initial Greeting and before the Act of Penitence), to the Liturgy of the Word (before the readings), and to the Eucharistic Prayer (before the Preface), though never during the Eucharistic Prayer itself; he may also make concluding comments to the entire sacred action before the dismissal.
    There nothing wrong with the Liturgy of the Word intro.
    Im not sure what you mean by making his own prayers. And Im not sure about not elevating, but I would guess thats not good.

The appropriate time according to the GIRM to give a preview about the readings and the Gospel is before Mass begins. Howver as stated above, GIRM #31 gives leeway for the presider to stop and explain what’s going on.

There is NO time limit on homilies. And personally I think giving an extra 30 or 40 minutes to God is small potatoes compared to what He gave to you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.