Is this Mass valid?

When I made a retreat recently, the priest said what I call the “offertory prayer” as follows: Blessed be the Lord, God of all creation, through your goodness we have this bread and wine to offer, which will become our food and drink - words to that effect. He combined the two. At a local parish, the priest always says “…through your goodness we have this food to offer”. What is with that. How does this affect the Mass. The priest who said the Mass on the retreat I made is high on the food chain in that order. Is this valid? Also, what is the difference between “invalid” and “illicit”.

Thank you.

God Bless.

Dear Coey,

The consecration is valid, but the priest does not have the authority to change the words of the Eucharistic prayer. So the Eucharistic prayer is valid, but illicit or illegal, i.e. it goes against the law. It is valid in that the bread and wine did become the Body and Blood of Jesus. If such a Mass were offered on a Sunday, the congregation would indeed fulfill their Sunday obligation.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.