Is this morally acceptable?

I usually listen to music online at YouTube, but I question whether the people posting these songs (sometimes with no video, just graphics or limited video) are breaking copyright laws by doing so.

Simply put: is it morally acceptable for me to listen to this type of music on YouTube like this?

I don’t see why not. You are not downloading it onto your computer, just viewing/listening.

You could also probably find the songs on playlist.com. And on playlist.com, just like YouTube, you are not stealing the songs since they are not in your posession to do as you will (like mp3s which you can put on an iPod or CD player, etc).

I really miss the days when Napster was legal. Believe it or not (and I can believe it, having been in several bands), there were plenty of bands who endorsed Napster and thought it was an awesome thing. I wanted as many people as possible to hear my music, so I was always willing to post it online for free. I didn’t think it hurt me; infact, it gave me a larger fan base.

I personally think that from a promotional and musical standpoint, music downloading is a GOOD thing… BUT, that is another tangent, I suppose!

I think its fine: artists and record companies frequently remove copyrighted material from there, with the active help of the site’s administrators.

It does put the burden on the artist [more often, a low paid secretary at their record company] to check the site from time to time, but that doesn’t seem to be too much to ask, IMO.

On balance, I bet artists who allow their work to be used there sell way more products than those who don’t.

I would say that it’s totally morally acceptable. It’s hardly any different than borrowing a CD from a library or hearing it on the radio. The only difference is that it’s online and you can listen to it whenever you want.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.