Is this mortally sinful in matter?

At Mass, sometimes during the sign of peace I used to Mess around, doing secret handshakes, giving signs of peace to everybody, etc.

I know this was wrong and I won’t do it again, or at least, I’ll try not to make it so distracting, but was that grave matter?

I mean, I personally think that it’s rude and disrespectful, but I think there have to be more factors to make it grave matter (ie purposefully trying to make the Mass seem like a joke, trying to scandalize others into thinking the Mass is just fun-time, etc.

Thank you for your answers.

In order for it to be mortally sinful you have to meet three requirements:

1: It has to be grave matter
2: You have to be aware of it’s sinful nature
3: You have to deliberately and willfully chose to engage in it

It doesn’t sound like you meet the requirement for either 1 or 2. It’s disrespectful, true; but not gravely so. It also sounds as if you weren’t aware that it was sinful when you did it.

If you’re still concerned, go confess it to a priest and get absolution.

You are right to stop this, but I don’t think it’s serious.

Such a comment shows you are not sorry for what you did and you intend to do it again. You really should talk to a priest about your attitude.

No, I said that because there would be many unavoidable occasions of sin, and I would have no idea if I would be able to hold them off.

But I could guarantee even if I was to fall, I would try not to bring others down with me.

Obviously if I’m asking if it’s mortally sinful in matter I’m not going to try to do it, but there are temptations out there, and I need more strength to hold them off.

I was just trying to be honest. But in hindsight, maybe I should have clarified that there would be many occasions of sin in my original post, to avoid giving scandal, or hurting my name.

Thank you for pointing this out to me! :thumbsup:

And thank you for caring about my soul! :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.