Is this of grave matter?

Is it of grave matter to place a religious object next to a gargoyle for a little artistic contrast? I'm not talking about for a music video or anything like it, but a private decoration in one's home. It's also kind of devotional in a way--it's hard to describe how, but it's rather peaceful to look at...for me anyway...In any case, I don't see anything particularly wrong with gargoyles as they were used to decorate many medieval churches--to protect them in a kind of silly superstitious way and I suppose they are modeled after demons, but an object in and of itself is not really evil and I am not attempting to lead anyone astray and as far as I know I'm not. (Sorry if I'm hard to follow.)

Gargoyles were useful objects on churches... they tended to conceal joins and provide rainwater spouts. I can't see why having one in the vicinity of a religious object should have any relationship with sin unless the non-religious object was so particularly profane in design that it materially distracted you from your devotions or provoked 'unclean' thoughts, in which case it would be unwise to place it in a place where it get attention regardless of whether it was in the vicinity of a religious object.

Only you can know the outcome of its presence. On its own, it's simply a thing. A bar of chocolate is not a sinful object on its own, but to a person avowed before God under pain of sin to never contemplate eating chocolate again, it might be an unwise temptation. It's the use you put something to, not the thing itself.

You might also want to brush up on what constitutes sin and how we recognised it. A priest can help you there :)

[quote="DexUK, post:2, topic:317708"]
Gargoyles were useful objects on churches... they tended to conceal joins and provide rainwater spouts. I can't see why having one in the vicinity of a religious object should have any relationship with sin unless the non-religious object was so particularly profane in design that it materially distracted you from your devotions or provoked 'unclean' thoughts, in which case it would be unwise to place it in a place where it get attention regardless of whether it was in the vicinity of a religious object.

Only you can know the outcome of its presence. On its own, it's simply a thing. A bar of chocolate is not a sinful object on its own, but to a person avowed before God under pain of sin to never contemplate eating chocolate again, it might be an unwise temptation. It's the use you put something to, not the thing itself.

You might also want to brush up on what constitutes sin and how we recognised it. A priest can help you there :)

[/quote]

Thank you. I know very well what constitutes sin, but get confused at times. I read on a Catholic website that it's sinful and possibly of grave matter, I but I don't remember, to use a Rosary for contrast. Still, since it's a gargoyle that's next to it and not say, an inverted pentagram, or a gang symbol, I assumed at first that it should be fine (the Rosary is not lying by itself by the way, but it is wrapped around a praying hands sculpture,) but then people say things to me about it sometimes--that it "doesn't belong" where it is and when I pointed out that gargoyles are on a lot of old churches, I was told that that was because they were used to scare bad people away, which was something I already knew, but now I'm confused.

If there is any doubt or raises any problems for you or for anyone who may come into contact with it, then you should put your gargolye in the water closet (perhaps).

I think In I Cor Paul says we should not do anything that causes our brother to sin or to lose faith.

Gargoyles were not at all modeled after demons (not to mention that demons don’t look like animals and humans). On the contrary, they were used to scare away all kind of malefic spirits and to remind people that salvation comes through the Church. Besides, gargoyles are funny and expressive, like all the fantastic creatures of medieval art. So it’s nothing wrong to have gargoyles as decorations in one’s home.

[quote="vames, post:5, topic:317708"]
Gargoyles were not at all modeled after demons (not to mention that demons don't look like animals and humans). On the contrary, they were used to scare away all kind of malefic spirits and to remind people that salvation comes through the Church. Besides, gargoyles are funny and expressive, like all the fantastic creatures of medieval art. So it's nothing wrong to have gargoyles as decorations in one's home.

[/quote]

Well, thank you.

Of course very few though, have actually seen a demon and even fewer have seen their true form (so I had assumed people were modeling them after what they imagined demons to look like. Now I know I was wrong as I just looked it up.) I don't like "funny" looking gargoyles so mine does look rather evil, but really nothing out the ordinary for a gargoyle. Judging from what I've read in these posts I think it's fine to keep it just where it is.

[quote="sirach2v4, post:4, topic:317708"]
If there is any doubt or raises any problems for you or for anyone who may come into contact with it, then you should put your gargolye in the water closet (perhaps).

I think In I Cor Paul says we should not do anything that causes our brother to sin or to lose faith.

[/quote]

I don't think I'm causing anyone to sin.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.