Is this OK?

OK, a bit of background before I ask for advice.

I’ve been a drummer in my High School band for about 2 years. I’ve been playing drumset for about 3 months. I’m actually pretty good at it, because I’m usually better at teaching myself things musically related than having a teacher.

OK. So there’s this huge Baptist megachurch in my area that needs a drummer for its 9:30 service. I attend youth group there sometimes, and I know the director of music there and got a job for them. Ideally, my first performance with their worship band for the service would be either next Sunday or the Sunday after. My mom, who isn’t a very religious person (she belives in God and stuff but never goes to church) would be willing to drive me to the church, stay for the service, and then drop me off at my Catholic churches’ 11:30 Mass. My question is, is that OK? Am I committing any sin by attending a Baptist and Catholic service in the same day? And yes, I do know that some strains of Baptistry are VERY Anti-Catholic, however, I know the Faith well IMO and know how to hold up an argument against sola fide/sola scriputra and such.

Your thoughts?

I don’t know if it would be or not, but I have to ask you…you didn’t *really *vote for Obama…did you? :crying:
Are you a Who freak, like Kieth Moon?

Wait, so you’re asking about glorifying God through music somewhere else than Catholic church? :stuck_out_tongue:

I certainly see no problem with it, not that I’m any expert. If you feel hostility or them trying to convert you, just say that you would be more comfortable if they found another drummer, and continue going to Mass.

Cool! I’m a drummer too. :stuck_out_tongue: It’s been almost two years. :smiley: People find it hard to believe that a girl–especially a girl like me–could pick up the sticks and rock that Tama! :wink:

Anyways, I say you should definitely do it! Think of it as practice. Practice makes perfect.

The only thing stopping you is your own comfort zone. If you want to do it, go for it, especially if it’s something you enjoy doing!

Don’t take my word for it; think for yourself. :cool:

Ironically Yours, Blade and Blood

To answer Black Dog’s questions.

1. Yes, I would’ve voted for Obama, but my views have shifted since then, so now I’m more of a moderate guy.
  2. Yes, I ADORE The Who. Yes, as in the Keith Moon “The Loon” Who

Well, at least you’re not a lost cause politically. And you have good taste in music. I think Eminence Front (post Moon) has one of the best grooves I’ve ever heard. I have no idea what an Eminence Front is but that sound!

As long as you still attend Mass and the Baptist church doesn’t interfere with going to the Catholic Church, that shouldn’t be a problem. I also wanted to say…just something from personal experience… it might be a good idea to build up your Catholic faith and have strong faith in the Sacraments…even if you’re already strong… cause going to a Protestant service over an extended period of time sometimes causes people to doubt things they’ve always believed. It’s almost happened to me, even though I’m converting to the Church from Protestantism, lol. There’s nothing wrong with it, but just be careful :slight_smile:
and have fun playing the music, that’s cool.
God bless you.

"Blade and Blood;4930109]Cool! I’m a drummer too. :stuck_out_tongue: It’s been almost two years. :smiley: People find it hard to believe that a girl–especially a girl like me–could pick up the sticks and rock that Tama! ;)"

I’ve seen girl guitarists blow guys out of the water lately in soloing, and I mean crazy soloing! playing scales, sweeping, taping etc. I myself am a guitarist and not to boast but a pretty good one. I write my own stuff and can play complete songs from Iron Maiden–solos and all, etc. But this one woman I saw wiped the floor with me :frowning:

So the ladies of music are out there :slight_smile:

Heh, rock on! \m/

Ironically Yours. :heart:

My dear friend

It’s no sin but make sure you double up on your sacramental and prayer life in case doubts come.

God bless and peace to you:thumbsup::slight_smile:

What do you mean by double my Sacramental life? :confused:

Great Question. Now if you feel this is something you really want and need to do… Go for it!!! , but the fact that your mom is willing to stay for the service there gives me another idea since she usually doesnt go to church. I say find something important like playing an instrument and such at your Catholic church and see if your mother would like to stay for the service there… I am not trying to be pushy or offensive I would just love for her to be going to a Catholic church and worshipping in that way. I think that it would be a great bond for both of you and I know that it will please God either way you decide.

Love and Prayers,

Tommy

I honestly think she doesn’t like the Mass that much. I think she finds it really dry and stuff like that. At least she gets some exposure to Christianity (albeit incomplete Christianity) through this. A win-win situation as I see it.

I think that we are missing the bigger picture here.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.