Is this our Catholic Schools?

From my cousin who lives in the Diocese of Dallas:

** At the basketball game, they prayed before the game. And all the kids from St. Monica School say “St. Monica, pray for us.” So the other team, from Mary Immaculate School, (which is always abbreviated MIS) figure they need to do something, and they all say, “MIS, pray for us.” Um, kids? I don’t think that was what you were looking for.**

Maybe they were asking "the school members" to pray for them as a team... :shrug:

[quote="Em_in_FL, post:2, topic:178477"]
Maybe they were asking "the school members" to pray for them as a team... :shrug:

[/quote]

Maybe, I just know the Nuns would have had our hide for something like that.

A lot of bad has seeped into many catholic schools over the past few decades. They need a lot of prayers.

The one for which I'm working is on the rebound after nearly getting made into a non-religious private school after the administration let the muslims and atheists attending have more control than they obviously should have had in the school. I guess they figured they were being accommodating and non-judgmental, which is misguided at best.

They fired the old principal and hired a new one who is adding prayer back into the school (which should be the bare minimum in a catholic school, I know). I know a lot of students don't know how to say the rosary without using a paper to help them along. A very small minority know the actual mysteries of the rosary. Even fewer know basics of what catholics believe. They are more catholic oriented now, thank God, and the anti-catholic and liberal agenda teachers are being removed.

Pray for catholic schools! They need all the help they can get! :gopray:

[quote="DihydrogenOxide, post:4, topic:178477"]
A lot of bad has seeped into many catholic schools over the past few decades. They need a lot of prayers.

The one for which I'm working is on the rebound after nearly getting made into a non-religious private school after the administration let the muslims and atheists attending have more control than they obviously should have had in the school. I guess they figured they were being accommodating and non-judgmental, which is misguided at best.

They fired the old principal and hired a new one who is adding prayer back into the school (which should be the bare minimum in a catholic school, I know). I know a lot of students don't know how to say the rosary without using a paper to help them along. A very small minority know the actual mysteries of the rosary. Even fewer know basics of what catholics believe. They are more catholic oriented now, thank God, and the anti-catholic and liberal agenda teachers are being removed.

Pray for catholic schools! They need all the help they can get! :gopray:

[/quote]

*I agree, praying! My kids have never attended Catholic schools, however, and we teach the CCC at home, pray the Rosary as a family, etc. (My daughter knows the act of contrition by heart, but I still need a 'cheat' prayer card when we go to confession, how did that happen?:blush:) lol

I think that people shouldn't look to Catholic schools to be the main formation of faith for their kids. Catholic families need to do their part at home. But, my husband attended Catholic schools, and he said that it was a great supplement to what was being taught at home. It seems from what you say here, and other threads I have read about this here, that the Catholic schools are losing some of that core faith building. I don't understand why that is being permitted to happen? I will keep praying. *

Oh man :ouch: – My school wasn’t even under the patronage of the BVM, but we knew to pray before games: Mary, Queen of Victory, pray for us!

(And before exams it was Mary, Queen of Wisdom…)

tee

[quote="tee_eff_em, post:6, topic:178477"]
Oh man :ouch: -- My school wasn't even under the patronage of the BVM, but we knew to pray before games: Mary, Queen of Victory, pray for us!

(And before exams it was Mary, Queen of Wisdom....)

tee

[/quote]

Don't you mean Mary, Seat of Wisdom?

So - Who won?

Peace
James

Not all are bad though, as I have said before we love ours!

I was driving to Scouts with my first grader the other night and the topics of monks came up (the CD changed and it was a CD of Gregorian chants). Anyway he started asking about the different kinds and how they were different from the “monks” in video games (which are usually martial arts fighters). I told him that some Catholic Monks gave up everything, they had no possessions like St. Francis… I said but that’s not for everyone, just like getting married or becoming a Priest, God will call us to what we need to do.

He said, well yea… that is what Jesus said right? I said…“rrrrriiight” as I didn’t know where he was headed. He said, like he told the rich man, to give up all his possessions and follow him in the Gospel. And I said exactly… but what did the rich man do? He said… he walked away. At which time I started the “more difficult for a camel to enter the eye of a needle” when he quoted the verse and proceeded to tell me why the metaphor works.

My son and I have never discussed this particular story before… ever. I asked him, where did you learn this, he said school. Father even brought a needle and a little camel to make the point.

Now I love to brag on my son and I believe he is quite exceptional (as do all parents right?) He does read a few grade levels above his, listens well and thus far has all As… so I’m not expecting that every child may have gotten that much out of the story as he did.

My point though is that regardless of the how far a long a child is, the School didn’t just get up and read them the “Seeds” for that week but took time to make it more real, and to make it understandable for a 6 or 7 year old.

THAT is why I send my sons to Catholic School. Truly I believe I’m spoiled, and I’m often heartbroken as some of the stories I read on here.

This thread was a good reminder to pray not only for my school but also all the others!

Thank you!
Joe

Chalk it up to not being able to think on their feet? Stage fright? I wouldn't read too much into it!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.