Is this problematic?

A friend in my class wants to do his Engineering homework but he can’t, seeing as he doesn’t have his book or his copy. He messaged me asking for the answers, which I of course couldn’t give him, as I know copying homework is a sin. As he knows, the answers are on the Internet if he needs them. The answers I have in my copy would be the same as the ones on the Internet, as they are short questions. Our teacher said he doesn’t care if someone takes the answers from the Internet or if the answers are copied from another person, so long as they’re done. My friend wants the answers before school tomorrow, where he’ll be able to take them down into his copy. Is this wrong? I presume it is wrong. I would like to be able to help him but not if it is wrongful. What should I do? Thank you for your answers in advance. God bless you all.

From your post, your teacher is perfectly fine with the answers being copied from another person, so I’d think it’s okay. It would be a different matter if your teacher wanted original answers, but if that’s not what they’re asking for, copying is fine.

I would send him a copy of the questions and let him answer them on his own. If he needs help then offer assistance but don’t do the work for him.

Hi StBenedictLabre

You said:

Our teacher said he doesn’t care if someone takes the answers from the Internet or if the answers are copied from another person, so long as they’re done.

If the school and your teacher permits this, then I’d say that him copying you wouldn’t be wrong, since your teacher allows it.

Thank you all for your good advice.

If that is the attitude of your teacher then I would say she is not a good teacher.

I had a few teachers who thought the same. If a student wants to copy the homework and doesn’t want to study, he will only hurt himself, because he has to make the test. But I do agree with you, it’s not a good attitude for a teacher.

How do you know this? Copying homework is certainly unethical but not a sin. How could it be?

It’s wrong. How does somebody learn if they get the answers from someone else?

library.cqpress.com/cqresearcher/document.php?id=cqresrre2013010400

Ed

If we’re talking about the answers to the short questions on an Irish reading comprehension or some algebra problems then I’d hardly say it’s a sin or unethical. I’m a teacher, kids do this stuff. It’s inconsequential.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.