Is this Protestant quote in line with Catholic teaching?

“The Gospel humbles and affirms u sat the same time, since, in Christ, each of us is simultaneously just, and a sinner still. At the same time, we are more flawed and sinful than we ever dared believe, yet we are more love and accepted than we ever dared hope”

I would say no as it relies on the protestant interpretation of justification “sola fide” that conflicts with Catholic teaching.

catholic.com/magazine/articles/justification-sola-fide

Agree.

Yes, on a purely spiritual/human level.

My personal view is this. I don’t see anything in the quote that is directly in conflict with Catholic teaching. In fact, I see in it a nice balance between the confidence we have in our salvation through Christ, and the struggle we must each go through on our journey.

Having said that - I don’t really like to make an assessment on something out of context.

Peace
James

Who said it? What tradition do they belong to?

It came from a website called The Gospel Coalition. I believe they are Reformed.

Ok ty

Yes, very reformed. However, I don’t see this quote as being “sola fide” or against Catholic teaching at all. It’s a very nice quote and reminder that “While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” The love of Christ is something all Christians share.

Christ dying for us “while we were still sinners” does not mean that we are just in remaining in sin.

If the comment means that we still must overcome our sinfull nature, and by doing so we reject our sinfull nature to depend on His Spirit to make us just, then I agree with it.

If it means justifying faith does not mean we must turn from being sinners and live according to the faith by the ability of relying on His grace, then I disagree.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.