Is this quote theologically correct?

I found this quote on a Christian page and thought it was lovely and wanted to use it for something. However I am wondering if this is aligned with Catholic teaching or am I overthinking?

“The most radical thing that will set you apart as a raving revolutionary is to be a woman at home with your children, bucking the whole system of materialism, bucking the whole system of secularism . . . and saying: I’m not interested in me, myself, and I, my body, or whatever. I’m interested in eternal things because what these children are, are the only things in this life that I can take to heaven. And so they are the only investment.”

-Frank Schaeffer

I guess the ending sort of throws me off where he states “these children are the only things in this life that I can take to Heaven. And so they are the only investment” Aren’t our souls the only things we can take to Heaven? And shouldn’t I also invest in my marriage/husband? Or am I overthinking?

Any insight would be so helpful. Thank you!

Well…

I’ve heard Catholic priests, deacons, & apologists say something similar.

However, I would be careful with quoting from Frank Schaeffer

Wikipedia (yes, I know it’s wikipedia) says the following about him:

While Schaeffer was a conservative, fundamentalist Christian in his youth, he has changed his views, becoming a liberal Democrat and a self-described “Christian atheist.”

1 Like

Yes, I saw that as well:( I will try to find a similar quote from a Catholic. Thank you for your response!

I think it just means that people are the only thing important here at the end of the day: our neighbors, the closet of which is our own family where our highest love and concern should all start. That should come completely before all other desires- for material possessions, wealth, pleasure, glory, etc,

1 Like

Like you, that ending sentence troubles me also — particularly the word “only”.

When the Lawyer asks Jesus“Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?” Jesus responds with the Great Commandment - love God and love neighbor. When the lawyer then asks “Who is my neighbor”, Jesus responds with the parable of the priest, Levite, and Samaritan (Luke 10). This parable demonstrates the need to “invest” (love/serve/care for) in more than just our own children in order to obey the Great Commandment.

1 Like

It’s important to realize Frank Schaeffer is the son of Francis Schaeffer, a well know protestant theologian. Easy to get the two mixed up.

2 Likes

I guess the part that concerns me isn’t theological so much as reinforcing a tragic circumstance we’ve managed to foist upon people, particularly women. That part about “I don’t care about me, etc” I do understand what’s he’s trying to say; we do give and sacrifice ourselves for the sake of others, but there’s been such an emphasis on that without recognition of how we can and should value ourselves that tremendous damage is done to self esteem. It is perfectly Catholic to honor oneself and your own humanity in the proper proportion. (Psalm 139)

1 Like

We cannot take anyone to Heaven, but we can educate them and pray that they choose Heaven to be with God for all eternity

2 Likes

Thank you all for you responses. They are all so insightful and confirmed what I had already felt. Does anyone know of similar quotes? Or quotes about domestic life?

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.