Is this really God's plan?

I can’t understand how God could let brutal things happen to Jesus. I know it’s not right to question God, but I can’t help my thoughts.

Dear friend,

Remember that Jesus is God as well as the Father. In John 19: 18 Jesus says: “No one takes it (His life) from me; I lay it down of my own free will, and as it is in my power to lay it down, so it is in my power to take it up again and this is the command I have been given my Father.” The Persons of the Holy Trinity are united in perfect, infinite love.

This is what so baffles us: a love that is unlimited. That God would love people He created from nothing to the extent of suffering and dying for them shows us how incapable our little minds are of fathoming such love. Yet, this is the love of Calvary and the love that has been celebrated on our altars around the world ever since.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.