Is this sacrilegious?

I found this at ebay. What do you think?

You can check out the link at cgi.ebay.com/25-Chocolate-Holy-Communion-Eucharist-Favors_W0QQitemZ5567046372QQcategoryZ26389QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

25 Large Chocolate Eucharist Holy Communion Favors. Perfect for Communion Parties! Your choice of colors and flavors. All orders come wrapped in cellophane bag and curling ribbon color of choice.

Hello

It seems to me they ar tying to make money out of everything. I do not find it particular appropriate and would be offensive.

God Bless
Saint Andrew.

I don’t think it’s sacrilegious - I don’t know how common it is in this country, but in Italy little “favors” like this are almost always given to attendees at baptisms, confirmations and weddings.

They’re called “bomboniere” - miniature jars, candies, miniature marzipan fruit baskets, little dolls, figurines, inscribed candles, trinket boxes, etc. It’s kind of sweet - there are little stores in almost every neighborhood where you go to choose and order your favors - some artisans make them up individually for each person.

[quote=Saint Andrew]It seems to me they ar tying to make money out of everything.
[/quote]

Yes, everything is overly commercialized - the Christmas decorations are already coming into the stores, here.

And before Christmas Eve is over, they’ll be putting up the Easter stuff. :whacky:

[quote=ElizabethJoy]I don’t think it’s sacrilegious - I don’t know how common it is in this country, but in Italy little “favors” like this are almost always given to attendees at baptisms, confirmations and weddings.

They’re called “bomboniere” - miniature jars, candies, miniature marzipan fruit baskets, little dolls, figurines, inscribed candles, trinket boxes, etc. It’s kind of sweet - there are little stores in almost every neighborhood where you go to choose and order your favors - some artisans make them up individually for each person.
[/quote]

when I was in Mexico I often saw such favors used for First Communion parties, similar to those we put together for weddings and showers, but the candy or other trinkets have a Eucharistic theme.

Not at all, in Mexico we give those to the kids in first comunion parties.

great deal too

Not at all I have made white chocolate molds of the Eucharist for First Communion as well and I am not from Mexico or Italy.

When I was little, my Lutheran friend and I used to use “Necco Wafers” to pretend giving Communion to each other. We knew nothing of the “real presence” so it was just the formality of the ritual that probably attracted me.

It seemed harmless then. Hopefully it was.

Alan

[quote=AlanFromWichita]When I was little, my Lutheran friend and I used to use “Necco Wafers” to pretend giving Communion to each other.
[/quote]

Everyone did that as a kid.

No, it may be offensive to some, but it isn’t sacrilegious, IMHO.

There are chocolate crosses for Easter, some people find that offensive, I don’t.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.