Is this sinful Presumption?

Scenario: you are tempted by sin and you think ahead to when confession will be next just in case you succumb to temptation?

As opposed to planning to do it anyway because you’ll just go to confession later which to me seems definitely like presumption…

It certainly can be sinful presumption. If your mindset about temptation is that you have confession as a back up plan to succumbing to temptation, then I would say that it is an improper mindset. Confession is certainly for people succumbing to temptation, but confession is not an excuse to give in to it. A mind set that I believe to be very helpful is knowing that God does not desire for me to give into temptation and that I do not have to with His help. Find a way to remember to pray in the midst of your temptation for God’s assistance to discern how to win.
Also, if you find yourself trying to be placed in the occasion of being tempted by something that you are desiring to do, that alone is sin (a near occasion of sin can be sin). Begin to find ways to serve and obey God, and don’t be consumed by just trying to stop sinning. Outweigh your personal evil with good.
I hope this is helpful!

A thought is not a sin until you agree to have it. While the consideration of when the next Confession would be could indicate that you gave in, it seems to me that when you realized where your thoughts were going, you immediately stopped, thus not sinning.

But be careful. Practice custody of the mind–check what you are thinking about, frequently at first.

I don’t agree that a near occasion of sin is a sin, unless one submits to it. para. 1735 is short but gives some complicated advice about the mercy of God, hidden in what seems like a pile of technical jargon.

1735 Imputability and responsibility for an action can be diminished or even nullified by ignorance, inadvertence, duress, fear, habit, inordinate attachments, and other psychological or social factors.

Inadvertence is a category all by itself, so the other categories suggest that they are more or less deliberate and conscious, which is the general idea of the OP. I think your rationalization of your next confession is a form of immaturity or self-deception that might fall under a psychological factor reducing your culpability for a sin. Yes, your better instinct is to confess the sin at the next instance. Best, though, is to use all this psychological energy to avoid the sin altogether.

Be holy as your heavenly Father is holy

We are priestly people and we offer our selves as living sacrifices – we sacrifice that passion or desire . That is what God loves most, to see our obedience as Jesus was obedient.

Every sin is an instance where we create an idol of ourself, taking God off the throne of our life and putting ourself there instead. Lord, if you are not LORD of all my life, then You are not LORD at all. Be my LORD.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.