Is this sinful?

Hello,

Many years ago, a friend of mine gave me a pair of basketball shoes that he said he took from the Lost & Found at his gym (they weren’t his). At the time, I wasn’t super into my faith, so it was never disturbing for me to use them, but now that I am, I don’t know if I should be. Is it (at all) sinful to keep using these basketball shoes? There’s no way the original owner could be found now.

What would you do? Give them away to charity? Keep using them?

Thanks!

If it bothers you, give the shoes, or money you think they are worth, to charity. :slight_smile:

Yes, the person who owned the shoes would have been able go back and get the shoes.

Not meaning to scare you, but St John Bosco saw some of his students in hell for stealing things such as bedsheets, forks and knives, books,
Stealing is grave matter, with full knowledge and full freedom it is a mortal sin.

Only God knows your situation.

But it’s always prudent to say it in confession just in case. And to do some small act to amend, such as mentioned above.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.