Is this something that we can all, as God fearing people agree on?

[FONT=Times New Roman]http://illegalprotest.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/catholic_and_abortion326134844_std.png[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]_______________________________________________________[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]Is this something that we can all, as God fearing people agree on? Muslim, Jewish, Protestant and Catholic?

Venerable Pope John Paul II said -

“A country that kills children is a country without hope.”
(Source -EWTN)

Will we get ever get serious and work together to end abortion?

I would like to hear non-Catholic and Catholics responses to these questions.
[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]

I just posted this and there were 12 views and no responses… Why the reluctances to speak out and protect and defend the helpless, unborn, baby child?

God is watching!

Jimmy, the LCMS is right with you on this. Children, in whatever manner they may be conceived, are a gift of God. Roe vs Wade was a Pandora’s box - once legalized, abortion will be very difficult to stop. The fact that some churches hesitate to speak strongly against it is the most dismaying fact of all.

I look to the Catholic church to be the backbone of this fight - but in this post-Christian culture we have, only the Holy Spirit can effectively change enough hearts to change the law.

From the female perspective of the right to decide what is to be done with her body, which I respect on many levels, as a man…I cannot shy away from the fact that a baby has its own body and it is most certainly not the woman’s. The woman’s right to choice ends there.

Killing is killing, no matter how you sugar coat it.

Liberals seem to be more in favor of unborn whales, trees and plants than they are unborn humans.

I just don’t get it.

I’m not sure the Muslim teaching on it, but I’ve read from some of the Jewish members on the forums that Jewish law allows abortion in cases where the mother’s life is at stake.

I certainly would hope that we can all get together on this. But - even if we do…It may not be possible to make abortion illegal for the main problem seems to lie in the courts and not in the legislatures.
So - Either the Supreme court is going to have to reverse itself, or the country is going to have to change the constitution in such a way as to nullify the previous and current position of the court.

Of course even if abortion were made illegal…this would drastically reduce but not end abortion.

At present - the best we can do is to educate the public, in whatever way we can, on the evil of abortion. To this end there are already many ministries and efforts that are slowly but surely making headway. may God continue to bless these efforts.

Peace
James

From “The Understanding Islam Book”…Pg 177-178…
There are differences of opinion in Islam on whether or not it is wrong to disrupt a pregnancy after fertilization. In general abortion is considered a sin, the murder of an innocent unborn life. However, the magnitude of the sin varies according to the age of the pregnancy. Mohammad once said: "Each of you collected in the womb of his mother for forty days, and then turns into a clot for an equal period and then turns into a piece of flesh for a similar period. Then Allah sends and angel and orders him to write four things (regarding the destiny of the child’s life). Then the soul is breathed into him. (Bukhari)
So - it appears that there is no clear consensus among Muslims on the subject…

Peace
James

Every morning as I get up I would thank God for the gift of life that I can wake up and see another day, the day that the Lord has made. My gratefulness to God that had my mother had an abortion while I was conceived in her womb, I would not be here today. And so too would Jesus and then I would not have a Savior (hypothetically).

That is enough for me to abhor abortion. Killing an unborn baby is like killing Jesus and ourselves because we all came from that stage of life. We should be grateful for the gift of life ourselves and for us to really appreciate that we must accord that gift to others who are yet born.

Could be the time of day Jimmy, give it time.
Thumbs up for the thread, couldn’t agree more.
:thumbsup:

Yes. Abortion is the taking of human life. Period.

Jimmy,

In our world which is, I fear, driven increasingly by secular forces, I don’t know if we will ever achieve a legal prohibition against abortion. I am certain that legality and morality do not go hand in hand in a secular society.

As Christians, we are obligated to argue for the morally correct answer and, to the extent possible, to convince the secular world of that.

Option 1- Just because someone reads and doesn’t post doesn’t mean that don’t agree or aren’t prolife. It just means that they see this as superfluous on a predominantly Catholic forum. If I see someone has already answered something better or the same as I would, I typically bow out and move on to the next post. In the case of this topic, there’s really nothing people can add other than Amen? I would have fallen into this category, but I didn’t want you to doubt the faith of others based on the fact that they have not responded.
Option 2- Also, you addressed a Catholic question to everyone, including non-Catholics. They’re probably scratching their heads and thinking, “How am I supposed to know the true answer to this? I’m Prolife, but not Catholic. I guess Catholics can’t be prochoice and catholic???” If you wanted a greater response from others, you should word it so that others can feasibly apply to all religions. Maybe something like, “Abortion is morally wrong” or “Abortion sucks the life out of women”.

It’s just my personal observations. Feel free to listen or disregard them as you like.
Peace be with your spirit.

I was only 10 when this law passed. My mom taught us what it meant…I was freaked out in my mind that a baby could be murdered! In the mind of a 10 year old, babies only came in one size…

I thought that when the law passed, a woman could only terminate the pregnancy before 12 weeks? How did we get to FULL TERM abortions? And now abortions on DEMAND?

I don’t know…it just boggles my mind…and some people don’t see this as murder…

I knew it was murder when I was 10…

If you are pro-choice you are not a bible believing Christian.

Since the baby has a different DNA it is not part of the mother’s body.

:thumbsup:

Jon

All good points, thank you.

Not only do I agree, but I would also thank Catholics for being a bright light of morality and decency in this issue.

I wasn’t always pro-life, and I thank all of those who convinced me of my error.

[FONT=Arial]Catechism of the Catholic Church

2271 Since the first century the Church has affirmed the moral evil of every procured abortion. This teaching has not changed and remains unchangeable. Direct abortion, that is to say, abortion willed either as an end or a means, is gravely contrary to the moral law:

You shall not kill the embryo by abortion and shall not cause the newborn to perish.

God, the Lord of life, has entrusted to men the noble mission of safeguarding life, and men must carry it out in a manner worthy of themselves. Life must be protected with the utmost care from the moment of conception: abortion and infanticide are abominable crimes.

2272 Formal cooperation in an abortion constitutes a grave offense. The Church attaches the canonical penalty of excommunication to this crime against human life. “A person who procures a completed abortion incurs excommunication latae sententiae,” “by the very commission of the offense,” and subject to the conditions provided by Canon Law. The Church does not thereby intend to restrict the scope of mercy. Rather, she makes clear the gravity of the crime committed, the irreparable harm done to the innocent who is put to death, as well as to the parents and the whole of society.

2322 From its conception, the child has the right to life. Direct abortion, that is, abortion willed as an end or as a means, is a “criminal” practice (GS 27 § 3), gravely contrary to the moral law. The Church imposes the canonical penalty of excommunication for this crime against human life.

2274 Since it must be treated from conception as a person, the embryo must be defended in its integrity, cared for, and healed, as far as possible, like any other human being.

[/FONT]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.