Is this soteriology in agreement with church teaching?

Hey y’all,
Its been a while since Ive been on here, and I should say I am still wrestling with soteriology, particularly the Reformed stream (Calvinist, Thomist, Amyraldist, Augustinian); on the one hand, scripture says quite clearly (Romans 9:11, Ephesians 1:4-5, John 7:65) that God chooses who will achieve salvation. But scripture also says that God wishes for all to be saved (2 Peter 3:9). Obviously not everyone is saved, otherwise hell would not exist, and every Christian would be in heaven, which according (I cant remember the number but it goes something like "Not all who say “Lord, lord” to me will be saved) is not true. To remedy this apparent problem, I have thought up the following soteriology: We are all dead in sin until God showers us with the gift of his grace , which at first he gives to all who have faith and do good works, because as James 2:26 tells us, faith without works is dead. Then we either accept that grace through repentence, or reject it by not repenting; if our repentance is true, we thereby gain the gift of perseverance by which we cannot lose our salvation. If we remain unrepentant, we lose the Grace of God, hence bearing the punishment for our sins after death in hell.

Is what I have just outlined in any way against Church teaching?

Thanks and God Bless,
DeusExMachina

You might be interested in this: ewtn.com/library/ANSWERS/TULIP.htm

There’s room for debate in Catholic soteriology. The above link discusses what Catholics may (and may not) accept about Reformed theology in some detail.

Yeah, irresistible grace is a protestant teaching. The only case i can think of in which that applies is the blessed Virgin Mary.

There has been a ton of discussion and opinions on this throughout the ages:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congregatio_de_Auxiliis

Seems like reading into it one way or the other is the cause of many unnecessary headaches. Follow Proverbs 3:5-6 , let the Church do her job and we will see the beatific vision.

Our salvation is worked out, over time, as we respond to and cooperate with grace, with God. We can walk away from any of God’s gifts at any point along tge way. The Parable of the Talents describes the way this all plays out quite nicely IMO.

Yes.

We are conceived in a state of original sin, lacking the state of grace. So you can say we are dead in sin for that reason. And then, yes, we need God to give us the state of grace, which is a free gift (merited for us by Christ). So far, so good.

“which at first he gives to all who have faith and do good works” – heresy.

As the Council of Trent teaches, we need God’s prevenient grace (first grace, which precedes any good act on our part). God’s grace is BEFORE, during, and after every good act. So we don’t have faith and we don’t do good works prior to receiving grace. Instead, we receive prevenient grace first, without any possible cooperation by free will. Then subsequently, we may cooperate with grace.

“Then we either accept that grace through repentance, or reject it by not repenting” – false.

We can enter the state of grace by baptism, as when infants are baptized. And they do not repent in order to receive grace. However, for adults, a valid baptism includes repentance from past sins.

“if our repentance is true, we thereby gain the gift of perseverance by which we cannot lose our salvation” – heresy

The Council of Trent condemned the idea that persons who are once justified (have entered the state of grace) can never fall away by mortal sin. So a person can lose their salvation after receiving the state of grace.

If a person commits an actual mortal sin, and remains unrepentant through the last moment of life, then they are sent to Hell.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.