Is this taking the Lord's name in vain?

I think that I posted this in the wrong place earlier so I am going to try again here. I try very, very hard to never use the word g**damn as I consider it a vile and irreverent word. However, the other night in a moment of physical pain I did use that word. I have never had it adequately explained to me as to whether or not this is taking the Lord’s Name in vain or not. More specifically, is it a mortal sin that needs to be confessed before I receive Comunnion again?

I know that YHWH’s Name is not “God” per se, and I was not referencing the Almighty when I said it. I am not trying to excuse my poor language, just wanting to know if this is a mortal sin that needs to be confessed. Thanks for any help!

Obviously you are bothered by your using God’s name that way – so – simply pray to God through Jesus Christ as Scripture tells us to – tell Him you realized it was wrong to use His name that way and ask forgiveness. 1 John 1:9 “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”

you didn’t intentionally do it, but if you’re that concerned, go to confession soon - in your case its probably venial since you didn’t use it intentionally.

In answer to your question: yes, using that word is taking the Lord’s name in vain: grave matter.

However, it appears that you truly are trying hard to break the habit of using such language, and you said it on accident out of habit. Thus, your culpability for this action is decreased and I think it likely you did not commit a mortal sin.

Nonetheless, I would still take it to confession to help obtain the actual graces to avoid this sin in future.

See next post…

One can distinguish between blasphemy (and other grave offenses) and profanity /disrespectful use of the Holy name such in anger or pain etc in a way that is not blasphemy --not said -say out of contempt for God or directed at God etc. That such in itself while certainly NOT to be done (we are Christians --we love and reverence the Holy Name of Jesus etc-as Paul says --let no evil talk come from your mouths…) - such can be said to be ordinarily venial.

So continue working to completely extinguish any such usages but bear in mind the above.

Let us praise and bless the Holy Name!

Praised be Jesus Christ of Nazareth --now and forever!

PS (and of course especially take great care- even in events of pain etc -when kids are around…).

As to examining when does one commit a mortal sin in general for anything?: When there is together, grave matter, full knowledge and deliberate consent.

Thank you all for your input. I really appreciate it. I do intend to bring it to confession.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.