Is This Taking the Lord's Name in Vain?

Hi CAF!

I was wondering if saying “jeez” is taking the Lord’s name in vain as it is taken from Jesus’ name. Thank you!

I hope not.:o

If its used to skirt around the intent of the 1st commandment with a technicality (kind of like a child pushing the limits of a parent’s order), then yes, it might be.

I say, “cheese,” instead, but it depends on what you mean when you say “Jeez.” Even though I prefer to call him Yeshua, I avoid saying “Jeez” because it is too close to saying “Jesus.” Language will always have things we say in surprise or exasperation, but it is good to avoid using any of the Lord’s names in such a case. I’ll often revert to the Ludad language (my family’s Gypsy heritage) and say “Muy Mammo,” which is like the Italian, “Mamma Mia.” Sometimes I will even use the Yiddish, “Oy vey,” or “Oy gevalt” because I have had numerous friends over the years who are Jewish. There are ways to avoid using the Lord’s names in vain, but it can take practice to retrain your brain to make something else your go-to phrase. If ssaying, “Jeez,” doesn’t make you inappropriately think of the Lord’s name, then I don’t think that there is a problem.

This seems scrupulous to me. I would have never made the connection between the two words. So I agree with Neo.

I doubt it.

A parallel case: I’ve heard many times (mostly from people trying to justify actual foul language) that when we say something like “freaking,” we really mean that other word starting with an ‘f’. And for some people this might be true, but I know for a fact that when I say freaking, despite any similarities or the intentions of the first people to use the word, I mean “freaking” and am not thinking or trying to express any other word.

Likewise, if when you say “jeez,” you mean nothing more than “jeez”, and since Christ’s name isn’t actually jeez, then it is not taking the Lord’s name in vain. Now, if you really did mean to take the Lord’s name in vain, that is, really, really wanted to and meant it, but shorted the verbal form to the word “jeez” so as to avoid getting smacked by any wandering nuns with rulers that might be in the area, then you might have an issue.

But since jeez is not the Lord’s name, and assuming you don’t mean it to be, then it’s just jeez - regardless of what the first people to say it intended it to be. (An argument could be made against it if most people considered it to be taking the Lord’s name in vain, but since this is not the common understanding, I don’t see an issue here either. Spoken words are just sounds, and their meaning is the meaning that we or others give to them, and since nearly no one considers “jeez” to be the name of the Almighty God, I think you’re good.)

I would say it is not ideal, however.

I only use bad language when I get angry, but “jeez” does get close to using Our Lord’s name.

I’d try to substitute it for some other word.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.