Is this the sin of pride?

I do not always agree with what the priests tell me in confession. What is up with this idea that priestz can do no wrong? I do not believe in feeling shame for my sins. I do not always feel remorse. Maybe later I will realize oh yeah that priest was right when he told me this. Other times I struggle to accept he is right or my human failings.

Priest can do no wrong? Priest sin just like you and me and every other human being on this planet. Priest go to confession to other priest all the time! Pope Francis goes to confession and has even been seen going to confession.

Now, as for your main question, you don’t always have to agree with the priest. He is there to give advice to help you not sin in the future. Maybe that advice will work, maybe it will not.

You also don’t have to be practically crying when going to confession. You need to be repentant though. If you’re not truly repentant of your sins, than your confession is invalid.

Shame is a painful emotion, and is not necessary, but what is necessary is regret, but is does not need to be as deep as remorse.

Catechism
1453 The contrition called “imperfect” (or “attrition”) is also a gift of God, a prompting of the Holy Spirit. It is born of the consideration of sin’s ugliness or the fear of eternal damnation and the other penalties threatening the sinner (contrition of fear). Such a stirring of conscience can initiate an interior process which, under the prompting of grace, will be brought to completion by sacramental absolution. By itself however, imperfect contrition cannot obtain the forgiveness of grave sins, but it disposes one to obtain forgiveness in the sacrament of Penance.1

1 Cf. Council of Trent (1551): DS 1678; 1705.

Council of Trent
And as to that imperfect contrition, which is called attrition, because that it is commonly conceived either from the consideration of the turpitude of sin, or from the fear of hell and of punishment, It declares that if, with the hope of pardon, it exclude the wish to sin, (y) it not only does not make a man a hypocrite, and a greater sinner, but that it is even a gift of God, and an impulse of the Holy Ghost, --who does not indeed as yet dwell in the penitent, but only moves him, --whereby the penitent being assisted prepares a way for himself unto justice. And although this (attrition) cannot of itself, without the sacrament of penance, conduct the sinner to justification, yet does it dispose him to obtain the grace of God in the sacrament of Penance. For, smitten profitably with this fear, the Ninivites, at the preaching of Jonas, did fearful penance and obtained mercy from the Lord. Wherefore falsely do some calumniate Catholic writers, as if they had maintained that the sacrament of Penance confers grace without any good motion on the part of those who receive it: a thing which the Church of God never taught, or thought: and falsely also do they assert that con-trition is extorted and forced, not free and voluntary.

Of course priests can be wrong. I’ve had more than one tell me abc is ok. They were wrong. Everybody can be wrong, including yourself.

Do we go to confession to be agreed with, or to repent?

Of course to repent

I did that once, until I suddenly realized that I was not arguing with the Priest, but rather with Christ Himself, represented by the Priest. I sighed and humbled myself. The absolution that followed was barely believable, almost indescribable. As the Priest pronounced absolution, I began violently shaking in my seat. So violently that Fr. took hold of me to keep me from falling. He simply looked heavenward and uttered, “Oh, Holy Spirit!” I was weeping and still shaking as I left. The power of God, the love of God will crush you in kindness.

Humility. Worth a try.

I suppose you can disagree, but if you are not repentant of a sin, don’t say you are. I guess I look at confession as a time to put all of my guards down, say I’m sorry, and then just listen with an open heart. A Priest isn’t going to give you advice with the intention to lead you away from God, only closer.

Pride is the cause of evil, and the downfall of the elect. :thumbsup:

\Well there’s your answer.
The priest went to seminary and is FAR more knowledgeable than any of us.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.