Is this true and in the Bible? The Lord won't put more on me than I can bear?

And why would He do that if He is a merciful and loving God? I’m just saying that because I don’t understand why we are being tested. And not that I don’t believe it. I don’t remember learning that in my twelve years of Cathecism. Yet, is it true and where in scripture is it? I thought God talked about temptation. And what we bear in this world, God is there to help us.

Does anyone know?

Thank you for your responses in advance.

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30

Don’t place a burden upon yourself which God is trying to remove.

Jim

No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it. I Cor 10:13

That’s a good one!

I believe that saying is a paraphrase of 1 Corinthians 10:13 which says:

“No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to mankind. God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.”

This doesn’t mean we will always feel like we can bear it. But what it does mean is that even in our darkest moments God is there sustaining us by his grace, and he will deliver us.

Yes, I think that’s probably the verse the OP is looking for.

1 Corinthians 10:11 These things happened to them to serve as an example, and they were written down to instruct us, on whom the ends of the ages have come. 12 So if you think you are standing, watch out that you do not fall. 13 No testing has overtaken you that is not common to everyone. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tested beyond your strength, but with the testing he will also provide the way out so that you may be able to endure it.

Hebrews 12:1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight and the sin that clings so closely, and let us run with perseverance the race that is set before us, 2 looking to Jesus the pioneer and perfecter of our faith, who for the sake of the joy that was set before him endured the cross, disregarding its shame, and has taken his seat at the right hand of the throne of God.

3 Consider him who endured such hostility against himself from sinners, so that you may not grow weary or lose heart. 4 In your struggle against sin you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood. 5 And you have forgotten the exhortation that addresses you as children—

“My child, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord,
or lose heart when you are punished by him;
6 for the Lord disciplines those whom he loves,
and chastises every child whom he accepts.”

7 Endure trials for the sake of discipline. God is treating you as children; for what child is there whom a parent does not discipline? 8 If you do not have that discipline in which all children share, then you are illegitimate and not his children. 9 Moreover, we had human parents to discipline us, and we respected them. Should we not be even more willing to be subject to the Father of spirits and live? 10 For they disciplined us for a short time as seemed best to them, but he disciplines us for our good, in order that we may share his holiness. 11 Now, discipline always seems painful rather than pleasant at the time, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.

12 Therefore lift your drooping hands and strengthen your weak knees, 13 and make straight paths for your feet, so that what is lame may not be put out of joint, but rather be healed.strong text

So we are being tested, and disciplined? I’ve lost so much in my lifetime. A child, two brothers, Mom and Dad, my children and grandchildren, an Aunt who has stage 4 incurable cancer and an Uncle that has dementia. Lost my favorite Uncle when he was young. Now, someone is stealing my beautiful cats that are like my children. Just lost one five days ago and can’t stop crying. My grief and sorrow are deep and wide.

What did I do? Is it because I’m a great sinner? I can’t take all this sorrow.

Yet sometimes, I think I deserve it. I go back and forth. Back and forth. Why? Then, maybe it’s because of this and that I did to displease God. I’m not bi-polar. Trying to figure it out.

Many people spin the verses about temptation that way. What God promised is that whenever you are tempted to sin, there will always be a non-sinful alternative. We might not LIKE the alternative, but we will never face a “sin or sin” situation.

God gives us good things.

People die, God has promised that when someone dies he will walk through the grief with us.

Bad things happen in the world, I am sorry about your cats, maybe you can volunteer at a cat rescue to help ease the pain?

These bad things do not come from your loving Father.

It seems that people are stealing dogs, too. I don’t understand it.

God will listen. He always does.

No one gets out of life with no pain. Sometimes life is a pain. A big one.

Being happy is better than suffering, but it doesn’t always work that way. I wish I could offer you more, but I can’t. Our church is going to train Stephen Ministers for people that need someone to talk to. I had thought of going into this, but I don’t know if I could be of any help. I would probably have a melt-down and wouldn’t be able to help anyone.

Focus on what you enjoy. It is hard sometimes to make sense of it all, but sometimes it is just important to focus on something. Me, I like to write, paint, and make jewelry. Maybe you have a hobby or past time you enjoy. It takes your mind off things at least for a little while.

Pets always fill the void, too. I remember as a child, I had a goldfish that was dying. I prayed that he wouldn’t die yet. We separated him from the other fish and put him in some water to help him out. He survived. You can, too.

I am so sorry for the losses you have sustained in your lifetime. It may help if you can manage, for just a moment, to forget your own troubles, and try to see things from another viewpoint. Think of Our Lady for a second. Imagine her happiness at being chosen to be the mother of Christ. See her maternal love and pride when He was found as a child in the temple, discoursing learnedly with the rabbis. How her heart must have swelled when He spoke to the crowds, when He achieved miracles, when He obtained disciples. And then…to see Him degraded, tortured and killed. Not only that, but to see the execution of her Son approved and applauded by her own countrymen. What a torment for her sorrowing heart, a torment which she in no way merited, as the Immaculate Conception. Yet no murmur, no complaint, no grumbling from her do we hear. Throughout her life resounds the great fiat that St Gabriel received from her: Be it done to me according to Thy will. Can we, mired in sin and error as we are, say any less? We all have a cross to bear. Some of us have many crosses. But bear them we must. We have no alternative. I know this is hard to hear, and for that I am truly sorry. Perhaps meditation on Christ’s travails, in Adoration before a crucifix, will help you. God be with you.

Yet Jesus told us we are to take up our cross and follow him if we don’t we are not worthy of him?
does this seem contradictory to your thoughts?
If it does I recommend doing some reading on redemptive suffering the kind Jesus did.
to add most people (Saints) are called to great suffering but do so gladly because God is close to them and at times appears to them and some ask for more as they get it, they understand the meaning of take up your cross and follow me. remember we are to die to the flesh and come out of the world and do all things without fear. God gives us grace every day the amount depends on us.

Catechism

302 Creation has its own goodness and proper perfection, but it did not spring forth complete from the hands of the Creator. The universe was created “in a state of journeying” ( in statu viae ) toward an ultimate perfection yet to be attained, to which God has destined it. …
311 Angels and men, as intelligent and free creatures, have to journey toward their ultimate destinies by their free choice and preferential love. They can therefore go astray. Indeed, they have sinned. …

1 Cor 9:

24 Know you not that they that run in the race, all run indeed, but one receiveth the prize? So run that you may obtain. 25 And every one that striveth for the mastery, refraineth himself from all things: and they indeed that they may receive a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible one. 26 I therefore so run, not as at an uncertainty: I so fight, not as one beating the air: 27 But I chastise my body, and bring it into subjection: lest perhaps, when I have preached to others, I myself should become a castaway.

Thank you for that and I do think of our Holy Mother. I also tell Jesus what He went through for our salvation was worse than what I’m going through. I also lift my sorrows to join Christ’s suffering on the cross for and then I’ll name my intentions which includes my whole world.

I am disabled, broke my neck and have severe chronic anxiety and panic disorder, plus clinical depression. And, the pain from breaking my neck is daily and has been for 18 years so things are hard for me. I live a lone and right now can’t do anything about it. Finances. no places to live and more…

My beautiful cats are my lifeline except for God. I don’t love them more than I love God. But, wonder why I keep going through devastation. And wonder why people are so cruel. I know they are stealing dogs and I think that is horrible also.

Volunteering would not be something I could do because of my illnesses. Yet, I wish I could work. I wish I could read a book. But, can’t hold it.

It is what it is. And I feel horrible and sad. I try to do things to keep myself occupied but being alone without someone to lean on in person is hard. God never intended us to be this way. Especially hurting all the time…mentally and physically. Further, being alone which is the pits.

I do empathise. I too suffer from a physical disability which, while nowhere near as totally debilitating as yours, nevertheless does limit my movement somewhat. And I do know what it is to be alone, to be without, as you put it, ‘someone to lean on.’ My struggle with same-sex attraction means that, not only am I prevented from having an intimate, romantic relationship with another human being, but that I am also deprived of the hope of ever enjoying such in future. And yet, my faith is quite as firm and strong as ever it was. My disability and my romantic deprivation are truly causes of joy to me, presenting as they do not only the opportunity to offer up my suffering, but to actually join it to that of Christ, which gives me boundless happiness. There are even times when I do, honestly and with no trace of masochism, ask God for more and more suffering, so that I can be worthy of joining my sorrows to Christ’s. Again, I try to focus on Him and the saints, particularly His Blessed Mother, and not to think so much of my own sorrows. Thank you for sharing the details of your life. I will pray for you.

I am sorry for the struggles and crosses that you’ve had during your life.

When I was going through a difficult loss, I made the decision to say often during the day thanksgiving and praise to God. Thank you for this person being in my life, for the love that they shared with me. Thank you for the blessing they brought to my life. Thank you that I can see, thank you that I can hear. Thank you for the sunshine, thank you for the rain. Expressing gratitude is a way of treading water for a while when you feel like you’re drowning.

When you have the courage, you can pray this prayer for the conversion of sinners and peace in this world. This is how we store up treasure in heaven …

I thank you for this cross precious Lord.
I accept this cross for love of you and for the conversion of sinners, and for my own sins.
I offer it in union with you for the conversion of sinners and peace in this world.
Be my strength, my hope, my joy this day.

I think we are given more than we can bear because we love so very little. It’s a way of stretching our hearts to be larger, and it’s hard.

One day when we are finally with Jesus we will regret that we did not love him more.

God be your strength and courage today. He is carrying you.

I will keep you in my prayers … rest assured God loves you.

This is a place where you can listen to audiobooks for free

In the US, many public libraries now offer programs where one can get free audiobooks through the library, see if yours has “Overdrive” or “Hoopla Digital” or “OneClick” or some other service.

If your parish has “Formed.org” you can listen to audio books there.

I understand losing the ability to hold a book, and I would go nutty without books. I hope some of these will work for you.

Your OPQ question is an incomplete quote:

God will not TEST us beyond our ability to cope with it WITH HIS HELP

Read Isaiah 43 verses 7 & 21 which concisely explain just WHY we exist.

Life IS literally {a] THEE God Test.

Heb.6: 10 “For God is not so unjust as to overlook your work and the love which you showed for his sake in serving the saints, as you still do.”

Rev.2: 23 “and I will strike her children dead. And all the churches shall know that I am he who searches mind and heart, and I will give to each of you as your works deserve.”

1 Peter 1: 17 “Now if you invoke as Father him who judges impartially according to each one’s works, conduct yourselves with reverence during the time of your sojourning, “

What we can be assured of is that:

God loves US more than we can ever LOVE Him

That God is Merciful

That He gives us all of His Sacraments; especially the Eucharist and Sacramental Confession to and through which we can and DO seek and receive His help

Friend, allow Jesus to be in CHARGE of your life and all your decisions; you’ll BOTH be happier:grinning:

Use the Sacraments and PRAY very much,

Patrick

Good point: God allows us crosses, but He also sends sufficient grace for us to bear them.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.