Is this valid to do at Mass?

Hi, not too long ago, a thread appeared from a person wondering if it was okay or not to sing the Gloria and do the Sprinkling of the Holy Water at the same time? After looking it up, as I had never given it much thought, it appears to me that they say you should not combine the two. :shrug: My question is, if your church does do this, as mine and it appears a few others do as well, is it more of a recommendation to not do this or is it serious enough to that we should let the priest know in some way? Thank you very much! :slight_smile:

God bless!:slight_smile:

The Roman Missal, Appendix II:

RITE FOR THE BLESSING AND SPRINKLING OF WATER

1. On Sundays, especially in Easter Time, the blessing and sprinkling of water as a memorial of Baptism may take place from time to time in all churches and chapels, even in Masses anticipated on Saturday evenings. If this rite is celebrated during Mass, it takes the place of the usual Penitential Act at the beginning of Mass…
  1. When he returns to his chair and the singing is over, the Priest stands facing the people and, with hands joined, says:
    May almighty God cleanse us of our sins,
    and through the celebration of this Eucharist
    make us worthy to share at the table of his
    Kingdom.
    R. Amen.
  1. Then, when it is prescribed, the hymn Gloria in excelsis (Glory to God in the highest) is sung or said.

The sprinkling rite takes the place of the penitential rite which takes place before the Gloria. The rite of sprinkling clearly states that the Gloria is *after * the sprinkling rite.

You can ask the priest why he does it that way or raise the issue with a member of your parish council (if there is one). But while combining the sprinkling rite with the Gloria is illicit it doesn’t rise to the level of abuse that would affect the validity of the Mass.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.