Is this wedding going to be sacramentally valid?

Hello,

Two of my friends have decided to get married, and I am not sure if their marriage will be sacramentally valid. They want to have a purely secular ceremony, meaning that they will be married by their town mayor. My understanding is that such a type of ceremony is only sacramentally valid if they are not Catholic.
Both people were raised in non-Catholic families, and were never educated in the faith properly and have only been to a handful of masses in their life. The problem is that they are both baptized (one by the Church, and one by her grandfather).
I am asking because they are close friends and have asked me to be a witness. I will refuse if there is a doubt about the marriage’s validity. Can you please give me your educated opinion on this?

Many thanks,

Robert_Caritas

This link should give you the answer you need. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by this link, please contact Catholic Answers directly.
**Recommended Reading:

Are civil marriages valid in God’s eyes?
Should I attend a civil marriage between two Catholics?
Can I attend the civil wedding of two baptized Catholics?
What are the rules for attending weddings?
Why doesn’t the Church forbid Catholic attendance at invalid marriages?

What constitutes a valid marriage for the Catholic Church?
Sacramental Marriage?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.