Is today a fast day of obligation?

news.va/en/news/pope-francis-renewed-appeal-for-peace-full-text

The Bishops of England and Wales don’t seem to have clarified this, the USCCB statement ‘asks’ the faithful to observe this.

Does today count as one of the days of fasting required by the Church, as with Good Friday and Ash Wednesday, i.e. is it a mortal sin to not fast today?

Is there a statement from the relevant Congregation confirming its status?

No, this is a voluntary day of fasting. We should make every effort to cooperate with the Pope in prayer and fasting for peace.

Father Z:
wdtprs.com/blog/2013/09/7-sept-day-of-prayer-fasting-what-did-the-pope-really-say-fr-z-offers-suggestions/

:signofcross:

From Father Z's link to Dr. Edward Peters, JD (Canon Lawyer)

[size=3]In short, a Catholic who does not observe a fast on Sept 7 does not violate canon law. [/size]
[size=3]What such disregard for the pope’s unusual request might indicate about one’s desire to act with the Successor of Peter is another question. + + +[/size]

May we each do our part in keeping this day in accord with the Holy Father's request.

Fasting wasn't even mentioned in our parish. Prayer was, though.

[quote="DL82, post:1, topic:338504"]

The Bishops of England and Wales don't seem to have clarified this, the USCCB statement 'asks' the faithful to observe this.

Does today count as one of the days of fasting required by the Church, as with Good Friday and Ash Wednesday, i.e. is it a mortal sin to not fast today?

[/quote]

Actually, the USCCB statement makes it very clear that it is not obligatory and there are many options for individuals Please see second paragraph.

usccb.org/issues-and-action/human-life-and-dignity/global-issues/middle-east/syria/syria-fasting.cfm

It is not an obligation

but if the Pope asks the entire Church to fast I would fast from something if not multiple things :D

[quote="DL82, post:1, topic:338504"]

The Bishops of England and Wales don't seem to have clarified this, the USCCB statement 'asks' the faithful to observe this.

[/quote]

I don't think the thing with Fridays is fasting. What Fridays are about is some act of penance being made. In England & Wales the bishops require us to abstain from meat. This can be replaced with another penitential act. For example, it is pointless asking vegtarians to abstain from meat. The key thing is the intention to perform a penitential act. Not doing a penitential act is not of itself a sin. Although the English & Welsh bishops require abstinence from meat it would be acceptable if you were invited for dinner, went to dinner and were served meat: it would be OK to eat the meat. There is a useful booklet about Friday penance on their web site.

I think the OP is asking specifically about today, Bergon i.e. a Day of Prayer for Peace in Syria asked for by the Pope.

Not about Fridays.

Fasting is required only on two days a year - Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. All other fasting is voluntary.

I believe that we were asked to try and fast/pray “sometime this week”, so I attempted to fast today.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.