Is two days too soon?

To go back to confession?

I feel like a failure for being so weak! (Although I’m unclear whether it’s necessary for me to go back, I don’t know if I’m just being scrupulous.)

An hour is not too soon if you’ve committed a sin that requires confession. Only your confessor can tell you if you are being scrupulous.

Go ahead and go back, but I would recommend going to the same priest, if possible, and be sure to tell him it has been two days and your concerns about possible scrupulosity.

Some Popes were known to go everyday. You only HAVE to go if you are in the state of mortal sin, otherwise, every week is probably enough. You should discuss the problem with your confessor and come up with a new plan to avoid this sin.

Mother Teresa went to Confession daily.

I once went to confession three times in two days while away on a retreat. The priest was getting tired of seeing me. :rolleyes:

When I was a young man attending the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy, I received communion daily but also went to confession almost every day. Follow your instincts, your confessor will guide you.

The simple answer to your question is no, though I certainly understand the various concerns related to the question. Since converting, I have found myself going to the Sacrament of P&R on numerous occasions for the same thing, often within days of my last confession.

As you consider the frequency of receiving the Sacrament, remember that the purpose is not simply to say out loud your sinful acts. It is not intended to be a formality for forgiveness, but an active Sacrament. The active element of the Sacrament is a reception of Grace to aid us in the process of sanctification.

I have found it beneficial to receive the Sacrament even when I am not in a state of mortal sin. I will go at times simply to confess temptations towards certain sins. The process of sanctification requires Christ’s Grace, and Confession is one of the many ways that Grace is transmitted to us.

To approach Confession as a way of receiving Christ’s Grace, instead of as a necessary element for forgiveness, should help you in determining when to receive the Sacrament.

Below is a link to a brochure on Confession by Presentation Ministries that you might find helpful as well.

Good Luck!

presentationministries.com/brochures/SecretConfession.asp

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.