Is underage drinking a sin?!?!

Is underage drinking a sin. I’m not talking about drinking soo much that one becomes drunk , but maybe having a pint on the holidays or with friends. If it’s done responsibly will it still be considered a sin?

It’s illegal.

3 Likes

Deliberately and knowingly breaking a just law is a sin. And while the wisdom of legally setting a drinking age at certain arbitrary ages may be up for debate, it isn’t unjust.

6 Likes

As others have said, we must obey just laws. Know the laws of your stat (in the US it varies from state to state).

Some states permit parents to allow their under age kids to have alcohol in the home. If that is the case, defer to your parents rules.

5 Likes

Depends on where you live. In some places it’s illegal for minors to buy alcohol but not drink it. But, if you live in a jurisdiction where both are illegal, then yes, drinking alcohol would be a sin, as you are breaking a just law.

1 Like

Yes.

My parents were from Italy, I was given about a tablespoon of wine with dinner, often mixed with ginger ale. Starting at a young age.

By the time I was a teen I could have a glass of wine or beer at dinner. I never liked beer.

I drink only occasionally now. I’ve never been drunk.

1 Like

Breaking a just law is a sin. And it’s important to remember that just because you dont like or agree with a law, that doesnt make it unjust.

1 Like

I don’t think so. Especially with your parents approval. Although following the law is generally a good practice it does not determine whether something is sinful. I don’t think I sin if I go over the speed limit and have determined it was safe to do so.

2242 The citizen is obliged in conscience not to follow the directives of civil authorities when they are contrary to the demands of the moral order, to the fundamental rights of persons or the teachings of the Gospel. Refusing obedience to civil authorities, when their demands are contrary to those of an upright conscience, finds its justification in the distinction between serving God and serving the political community. “Render therefore to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s, and to God the things that are God’s.” “We must obey God rather than men”:

When citizens are under the oppression of a public authority which oversteps its competence, they should still not refuse to give or to do what is objectively demanded of them by the common good; but it is legitimate for them to defend their own rights and those of their fellow citizens against the abuse of this authority within the limits of the natural law and the Law of the Gospel.

Interesting that love is speed is mentioned in the Catechism

2290 The virtue of temperance disposes us to avoid every kind of excess : the abuse of food, alcohol, tobacco, or medicine. Those incur grave guilt who, by drunkenness or a love of speed, endanger their own and others’ safety on the road, at sea, or in the air.

There are enough loopholes there. I don’t love speed! I thing the code law on alcohol is an overstep of parental rights to decide what is best for a minor!

That is an opinion, but, it does not make the law unjust. We do not break just laws.

For that matter, overage drinking can be a sin. Age is only part of the equation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.