Is uriel an angel or demon

Is Uriel angel or demon?

An Archangel http://catholicsaints.info/a-garner-of-saints-archangels/

1 Like

https://catholicdigestt.com/warning-angels-never-pray-venerate-catholic/

I just asked because I see his name comes up with the ones named in the bible but he is not mentioned.

I agree about only using only the name’s of St Gabriel , St Raphael and St Michael.

But aren’t there seven archangels and nine choirs of Angels.

Tobit 12: 15 ( RSV CE )
I am Raph′ael, one of the seven holy angels who present the prayers of the saints and enter into the presence of the glory of the Holy One.”

That’s the question who are the other 4? We don’t know.

Well. Uriel was traditionally an archangel. He appears in 2 Esdras. Or in the traditional Latin Vulgate, 4 Esdras.
The book was not reaffirmed by the council of Trent, along with 3 Esdras and the Prayer of Manesseh. They were relegated to an appendix of the Latin Vulgate which I believe still appear there. The reason it is 3 and 4 Esdras in the Vulgate is because Ezra and Nehemiah are 1 and 2 Esdras in the Vulgate. Thus it wasn’t really until the KJV that they became known as 1 and 2 Esdras. The numbering is different in Orthodox traditions as well.
With that said, Uriel does not appear in any Canonical book, however 3 and 4 Esdras and the Prayer of Manesseh were considered worthy of reading following the Council of Trent this put in the appendix " lest they perish all together". So in a sense the Church isn’t saying Uriel isn’t an archangel, just doesn’t affirm it.

Some other texts he appears in is arguably the most famous non canonical Old Testament book, the Book of Enoch. And also the early Christian Apocalypse of Peter.

I believe in the middle ages there was a certain cult of archangels which worried the Church thus only allowing the three biblical ones to be venerated. In the Russian Orthodox Church Uriel is an archangel, and in Protestantism Raphael is not as they do not believe Tobit is scripture.

In the end I’m sure there’s many archangels. The seven traditionally have names, Uriel being one. He is depicted in art. Actually one of my favorite paintings at the Vatican depicts Uriel. So the Church doesn’t say he doesn’t exist, just not being in Canon scripture he is not “Canonized” as existing.

Great question

5 Likes

The Church does not recognise Uriel as an angel, never mind archangel.

An Archangel https://orthodoxwiki.org/Archangel

1 Like

The Eastern Catholics do.

And they are just as much a part of the Church as the West.

5 Likes

The author of that article is mostly in the right, however woefully wrong on one point.

The author fails to make a distinction (indeed conflates) “new age” practices with the perfectly legitimate and respected traditions of the East.

Western Catholicism lists only 3 Archangel names: Michael, Gabriel, Rafael.

Eastern Catholicism (and Orthodoxy) adds Urial (or Arial or other spellings) to that list.

Both traditions are valid and equal.

7 Likes

Thank You Father David. Always great to have your insight and input.

I should have said the western Church does not accept Uriel as an angel or archangel.

St. Uriel is an archangel as recognized in Eastern Catholicism

Yes. I believe the Council of Trent only affirmed the deuterocanonical books of the Old Testament for the Latin rite. I know eastern traditions hold a few more texts as Canon or worthy to be read such as 3 and 4 Maccabees, Psalm 151, Prayer of Manesseh, 1 and 2 Esdras. However you make a good point with eastern Catholics Uriel is an archangel. 2 Esdras or 4 Esdras in the Vulgate is in the Slavonic Bible for Russian Orthodox Church and other eastern churches as 3 Esdras. I believe the only parts not present are the first two and last two chapters which are only in the Latin version and are sometimes rendered as three different texts in the same book. So yes it is permissible that eastern Catholics regard Uriel as one. Also the Prayer of Manesseh is recited at the Great Compline in the Byzantine Rite. It’s interesting that Orthodox have even more books than Catholics. In the West you only seem to hear about how Catholics have more books than Protestants. I always recommend the NRSV w the apocrypha/deuterocanonical books. This version has all books rendered as scripture by Protestants, Catholics, and Orthodox. And yes there’s a Catholic edition of the NRSV as well with books in the normal order but that’s not the one I am talking about.

ok i’ll accept “St Uriel” as an archangel; but whomever that is mostly tries to mind its own business and not interact directly with the hairless monkeys with souls (us)

we humans shouldn’t be probing or provoking its Name, which only God knows for sure

1 Like

The other four are
Jegudiel
Selaphiel
Barachiel

Yes there are
Michael
Gabriel
Rafael
Jegudiel
Selaphiel
Barachiel
Byzentine churches honor them

Fr., why doesn’t Rome say that the other 4 can be recognized, since the Eastern Churches recognize them? I think that is what is causing the confusion. The Vatican says you can only venerate the 3, but the Eastern Churches are as much part of universal Church as the Latin Rite.

It is because only the three are mentioned in the Bible. The others are not.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.