Is using foul langague a sin?

I don't know why would it be they are just words. But what was meant in Ephesians 5 by the word filthiness or foolish talk. Do they have anything in common with foul langague? Also Ephesians 4:29, Colossians 3:8 speak of obscene talk. Is obscene talk foul langague? And finally is using foul langague a sin? (Im not talking about words that violate the 3rd commandment: Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain or cursing others)
Thank you. :)

Words are rarely "just" words. They have meaning; they convey something. ;)

Look at it this way: the Ten Commandments isn't just some arbitrary list of rules; it's not about "thou shalt not." It's about how to show love for God and for each other, and how to avoid offending Him or harming your relationship with Him. It's about having a good relationship with God. We don't knowingly offend those we love, right?

Now, for some people, foul language is not intentional any more--and people may say things without thinking. Often, it becomes a bad habit, and in those cases, there may be less culpability because they didn't really intend to say it. Self-control is not easy sometimes. But if we love God, we should try not to offend Him and those He loves, right?

So, you decide: is using foul language good, loving, respectful, or honorable? Do you think God wants you to use it, or avoid it? Will it help your relationships (including your relationship with God), or hinder them? What do you want your choice of words to convey about you?

HTH.

Not always, no.

Is it a sin? Don't know. But let me ask you a question: If Jesus was standing there talking to you, would you use foul language?

[quote="Timi_Celcer, post:1, topic:330220"]
I don't know why would it be they are just words. But what was meant in Ephesians 5 by the word filthiness or foolish talk. Do they have anything in common with foul langague? Also Ephesians 4:29, Colossians 3:8 speak of obscene talk. Is obscene talk foul langague? And finally is using foul langague a sin? (Im not talking about words that violate the 3rd commandment: Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain or cursing others)

[/quote]

I have done my best to quit swearing, although one or two have slipped out. I used to swear a lot, I'm ashamed to say.

I opened my Bible one day, and came upon a verse that I believe commanded me not to swear. Here are a few verses on it:

Ephesians 4:29
Douay-Rheims 1899 American Edition (DRA)
29 Let no evil speech proceed from your mouth; but that which is good, to the edification of faith, that it may administer grace to the hearers.

Colossians 3:8
8 But now put you also all away: anger, indignation, malice, blasphemy, filthy speech out of your mouth.

2 Timothy 2:16
16 But shun profane and vain babblings: for they grow much towards ungodliness.

1 Peter 3:10
10 For he that will love life, and see good days, let him refrain his tongue from evil, and his lips that they speak no guile.

Psalm 10:7
7 His mouth is full of cursing, and of bitterness, and of deceit: under his tongue are labour and sorrow.

Therefore, I have removed these words from my mouth and mind, through His Grace. After reading the verses in the Bible, I knew it was wrong for me to swear (and gossip). From that day forward, without any conscious effort, I quit. The Lord changed my heart and let me accept it from that day. I have fallen a few times, but I get back up, and I ask for forgiveness immediately.

God bless you,
Christina

And then there’s this:

The one who guards his mouth preserves his life; The one who opens wide his lips comes to ruin. Proverbs 13:3

It’s serious to consider that what comes forth from your mouth is what’s in your heart!

Filthy language is foul and obscene language. Avoid using such language at all costs. If you could not say something in front of Jesus and Mary, then do not even say it at all. God bless you.

[quote="CatholicRaven, post:2, topic:330220"]
Now, for some people, foul language is not intentional any more--and people may say things without thinking. Often, it becomes a bad habit, and in those cases, there may be less culpability because they didn't really intend to say it. Self-control is not easy sometimes. But if we love God, we should try not to offend Him and those He loves, right?

[/quote]

I see what you're saying.

I try not to use it.

But when you're in the presence of coworkers who use it, you might fall into the habit.

And not just foul language, but nonstandard English ("ain't").

[/quote]

Hi Tim,

Yes, of course it's a sin. And you already gave many of the Bible verses that prove it.

But you said why when they are only words. But by words we make our confession of belief in Jesus. And by words God spoke the universe into existence. But we are also identified by what we say.

Another issue is that words are used to hurt others, or they can be used to help others. A kind word spoken to a person in emotional distress can go a long way to make him/her feel better. How many times have you been upset and knew you wouldn't feel better until you could SPEAK to a certain person. How did that person make you feel better, but by words.

When I first became serious about following God I stopped using His name in vain. That was hard, because most people do that to make others know they're serious in what they say. So I had to find other ways to do that, and I did. That was 30 years ago. I promised God not to take His name in vain anymore. I broke that promise 2 or 3 times in 30 years and was filled with an ugly guilt after I did it. Lately I'm trying to not use any foul language at all because I've become acutely aware it is sin. I knew that as a child but then followed my peers as a teen and as an adult. Now finally, as I reach my senior years of life I'm going back to what I always knew was right. I no longer use foul language. I agree with what the others say. I wouldn't talk to Jesus that way. So I won't talk to anyone that way.

I hope you can see the wisdom in this.

I don't know why would it be they are just words. But what was meant in Ephesians 5 by the word filthiness or foolish talk. Do they have anything in common with foul langague? Also Ephesians 4:29, Colossians 3:8 speak of obscene talk. Is obscene talk foul langague? And finally is using foul langague a sin?

[/quote]

It can be yes. And yes it is good to meditate on those verses.

But one can also say that not every use of various "bad words" is sinful.

It depends on what is said etc.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.