Is visiting a mosque wrong?

I am a Catholic but I visited a mosque to get to know about Islamic religion and culture. I had to wear their clothes to be allowed to enter the temple. Is that wrong?

Short answer = no.

No, the previous and current popes have done so numerous times

I’m curious are you a male or female the name Littleboy would indicate a male. I have visited the Blue Mosque in Istambul Turkey and was not required to wear their clothes. A female would, I assume, be required to cover their head. Although I was there as a tourist there were a few people there praying.

No, but it’s wrong for a Catholic to visit a Protestant church!

No its not.

google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/world/pope-francis-visits-mosque-in-war-torn-bangui-calling-for-end-to-the-conflict-there/2015/11/30/d31a634a-915f-11e5-befa-99ceebcbb272_story.html

I don’t think this is correct. If you go to an event or a co-religious event/prayer service that also includes a Catholic forum, or you go to see the beauty of a structure-church, it is OK. This also happens when churches burn or there is a need to “share” a church. If you go seeking to leave or denigrate the Catholic Church-that is a different story. Our large Protestant Church puts on plays where the PUBLIC is invited. Its all about intent, purpose and good sense. Peace.

It most certainly isn’t wrong, whatever gave you that idea?
rowanwilliams.archbishopofcanterbury.org/articles.php/945/the-visit-of-archbishop-rowan-williams-and-pope-benedict-xvi-to-westminster-abbey-for-evening-prayer?

I’d have no qualms visiting on vacation or something.

As far as praying there or so called inter-faith dialogue…NO-GO

Tell that to the popes who pray with Muslims.

google.com/amp/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/pope-francis-prays-in-mosque-in-sign-of-commitment-to-christian-muslim-relations-1417282839

You’re wrong my friend.

No I’m not.

Show me in the Catechism where it says I must pray with Muslims in their mosques.

Pontiff means bridge builder. So Popes are friendly with other faiths. Personally, I used extreme caution with anyone claiming that God has no Son like Islam does.

Benedict had the healthiest view of Islam of the recent Popes, imo. Most realistic anyway.

You have a habit of strawman my argument. When did I ever say must? I said it’s perfectably acceptable to pray with Muslims if both parties are comfortable. Show me in the catechism where it prohibits praying with Muslims. Stop intentionally distorting my arguement

Hi!

…there’s a lot of “liberty” and “experiments” going on…

…people seem to believe that when the Church calls for ecumenism it means to engage others where they are…

…take the Jehovah Witnesses… these confused people go out into the world professing that they are God’s visible church on earth and that the fact that they are “Jehovah” witnesses separates them from all other religion and, I guess to their understanding, authenticates their group as God’s true religion…

…they reject God’s Revelations about Yahweh God and they focus on their title as the rule for Salvation while Scriptures do not support their claim as they state that there’s only one “Name” that is above all names under which all knees shall bend in Heaven and on earth.

…do *you *know the name?

…well… it is not Jehovah:

[FONT=“Garamond”][size=]5 In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus:
6 Who, being in very nature God,

did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage;

7 rather, he made himself nothing
by taking the very nature of a servant,
being made in human likeness.
8 And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself
by becoming obedient to death—
even death on a cross!
9 Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
and gave him the name that is above every name,
10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
11 and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord
to the glory of God the Father.
(Philippians 2:5-11)
Rather than proclaiming Christ as God they reduce Him to a servant… some sort of glorified angel who serves as God’s gofer…

Clearly, ecumenism does not provide for such encounters… this is more the contribution of the “liberal” mindset that seeks to treat all religious experience as a conglomerate or amalgam of inclusivity.

…just try reversing roles on most of these experiments… the Jehovah Witness are quick to offer reading materials… but if you present them with something they almost suffer whiplash in their efforts to adamantly refuse it!

…a religious body that prides itself on being God’s people and whose religious book calls for the eradication of all infidels (which means everyone who is not part of the ruling group) is hardly a place for a Catholic–but that’s just my twos!

Maran atha!

Angel

[/size][/FONT]

I care about official teaching, not people’s opinions. And just because a pope practices something doesnt mean we all need to do the same. Maybe “independent catholics” who do not believe the Church teaching is infallible feel differently but that’s their issue.

As to the original post of mine that you replied to…as for me, no praying in mosques with Muslims. No thank you… We love you folks, we pray for you, but Jesus is God, end of story and not up for negotiations.

Show me the church teaching that the last 3 popes violated, which prohibits praying in a mosque.

You were the one claiming im wrong for not doing it.

Burden of proof is on you to prove this is a universal practice prescribed by the Rcc for all Catholics everywhere.

Still waiting for the evidence. Thanks

Listen, I said if you were comfortable. I never said people were required to pray in mosques. You’re the one claiming it’s against Church teaching. So I would like a citation that supports it. What church law did the last 3 popes break.?

I don’t feel I’m questioning the Church, I’m asking to be shown how this is the teaching of the church, since what the poster is saying is that you can’t pray in mosques when the last three popes have done it. It’s not in the bible saying you can’t since mosques didn’t come into existence for more than 600 years after the Bible. I’m asking to provide evidence, which he is lacking and making empty claims. My evidence is that three consecutive popes have prayed in mosques. His is so far baseless claims. I just want his reasoning backed up. I’m not questioning the Church, I’m asking for where the Chruch says it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.