Is watching harry potter a sin?

Do you think watching Harry Potter is a sin, considering that the majority of the plot is driven by magic and things related to it? I personally would consider it a “gray area”. I think as long as you enjoy the story without enjoying the witchcraft aspects of it, its not directly a sin, but its still not a good idea, because the storyline has the appearance of evil.

Only if you think watching Walt Disney’s ‘Cinderella’ is a sin, too.
Or ‘Pinocchio’ Or etc. etc.

Albert the Great was into magic

Good answer, Paperweight66.

You cant compare those with harry potter. The main characters of those stories were not witches.

If I had young children I mightn’t let them read that kind of book, because children are impressionable and try to repeat things they see or read about. So the question is, if you read the books or watch the films, are you likely to then go about trying to practice witchcraft? Hopefully not. Do you think watching LotR is bad because Gandalf is a wizard? (Though LotR is much better than Harry Potter, but still) If Harry Potter and co. used their wizarding powers for evil it might be different, but as it stands there’s nothing really wrong in watching the films.
Actually I haven’t watched them myself because I wasn’t allowed to when I was little, for the above reason, and it just kinda carried over :stuck_out_tongue: I don’t really feel like I’m missing out by not seeing them, but neither is it a sin.

I enjoy reading Harry Potter.

The magical abilities of the characters are innate and not gained by consortjng or bargaining with demons. God given so to speak. The story has more to do with what the characters choose to do with their own God given abilities, to do good or to do ill.

It’s not a sin, in any way. It’s just fiction. Which, by the way, carries heavy themes of friendship, loyalty, and doing the right thing no matter how difficult that is. Not exactly themes to avoid.

There’s plenty of water to drink from which you can be assured isn’t poisoned. Why drink from water that might or might not be poisoned? Why flirt with the devil?

Is the magic of a fairy really different from the magic of a witch?:confused:

It’s fantasy. I watched/read Harry Potter growing up. I still enjoying watching the movies. I see nothing wrong with reading those types of books. It is better than children not reading.

I don’t think so.

This whole thing reminds me of Revelation 17 where the angel says “why are you astonished?” in order to snap John out of his amazement as he marveled at all the false majesty of the devil. It’s really easy to fall into the same trap.

I would rather have my children never read than read Harry Potter or any book that glorifies magic.

I personally have serious doubts about HP. Nog because it contains magic, but because it’s practised by humans. Lotr for example contains humane, hobbits, elves etc. None of the humans got any powers in contrast to the fictional beings like elves which are fictional beings. That’s a huge difference i would say. When a child sees an elf with wings etc. It knows it isn’t real.But when a human being is using these things tot try them… I’ve also heard about children trying these spells from HP and some things did happen with them that these spells actually work. That’s dangerous. I’m not sure if this is true, it’s just hear say.

Reading Harry Potter is flirting with the devil?

Seriously?

I’d rather have children with reading skills and a proper vocabulary. Reading should be encouraged.
Thankfully, my mother had enough sense to teach me that fantasy isn’t real. I’m also thankful that I had the sense to know that waving a stick around isn’t going to do anything. Some parents should teach these simple concepts to their children. :shrug::rolleyes:

In the Harry Potter books, witches and wizards are people who are born able to do ‘magic’ without even knowing it, and go to school to learn ways to control it and use it in sensible ways. It is, in many ways, closer to scifi ideas of telekinesis, with extra fairytale humour and wands. Nobody gains magic who did not already have it, nobody deals with demons or devils, people who cannot simply do magic already are unable to cast spells no matter how hard they try or what they do. The magic bears no resemblance to anything that can be imitated beyond waving a stick and saying some silly words, and bears no resemblance to the things real people do in the pursuit of magic or witchcraft.

It is approximately as dangerous as reading scifi in which people have telekinetic powers.

It is also a story which explicitely states that people have souls, that what you do can alter your soul and have permanent consequences for your afterlife (which is definitely real) because of the damage to your soul, that damage to your soul can be healed through true repentance, that really wanting someone dead is about the worst thing you can do to your soul and is why the killing curse is so bad, that love has redemptive power and is underestimated by the wicked, that some things are worth dying for, that our hero never actually kills anyone even though his friends and allies think he should and he is under enormous pressure to do so.

It also features a couple of Bible verses in a positive light, which is unusual for popular children’s fiction.

I hardly think it can be sinful. As others have noted, the heroic characters display traits any parent would would to inculcate in their kids, and I hardly think anyone (no matter how much I hoped to get a Hogwarts letter on my 11th birthday) seriously takes it to be “real.”

What no one has pointed out (and to be honest I’m only doing it to be facetious, so my apologies for that), is that the character of Harry ends up dying to save the world from the Evil One (Voldemort) and then comes back to life. It’s an even more blunt metaphor than Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia.

For a (hilarious, and I presume satire - of well-meaning evangelicals? I can’t quite believe it’s genuine) “Christianised” Harry Potter, try: m.fanfiction.net/s/10644439/1/

Although maybe don’t show it to children (not that it has any “adult” content).

Apart from anything else, the school divides children into houses according to denomination. Naturally, given the supposed evangelical-Protestant beliefs of the author, Roman Catholics all go into Slytherin. Presumably, it was founded by St. Patrick…

No CS Lewis for your kids then.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.