Is watching harry potter a sin?

That’s a pretty naive thing to say. It’s not so black and white. You can say the words “this movie is pure fantasy, it isn’t real” to a child, but you have no idea how powerful a child’s imagination can be, how strong their hope can be. Have you ever heard of people dabbling in the occult? How do you think they start out? They watch movies like The Craft that not only glorify magic but also come straight out and say that it is real and it is out there. These kids go out there looking for real magic, refusing to believe that it’s all fake. And they get into very evil things. Moses wasn’t the only one who was able to make it rain locusts and turn the river into blood. Even ungodly magicians of Egypt were able to do those things.

If it came down to it, honestly, I’d rather have illiterate children in Heaven than children in Hell who can read. Granted, it won’t come down to that, because, thankfully, there’s plenty of holy books, even kids books, they can read that won’t be a danger to them.

0 Likes

I guess my brother and I put too much trust in our parents because we listened to them and believed what they said was true. I didn’t dabble in witchcraft in high school because I read Harry Potter in middle school. I may be mentally ill, but I’m not that weak minded and I would hope that I would teach my imaginary children not to be so weak minded, either.

Can you show me in church documents that state reading works of fiction/fantasy will send you to Hell? I use the Laudate app on my phone to examine my conscience and I don’t remember seeing “reading fantasy/make believe/fiction” as something I need to confess.

0 Likes

No, why is this even an issue?

0 Likes

I never said it was a sin, and the arrogance in your response is not only insulting to me but counterproductive to your understanding what I said which you responded to. I said it was a bad idea and a potential danger, and I gave some reasons for why I believe that. You’re free to think whatever you want.

0 Likes

Nothing wrong with Harry Potter as long as it is realized by the reader that it is just a fairy tale and things like that don’t happen. (I know the devil can do strange things, but it’s best to leave the devil out of it. Just say, it’s a fairy tale and not to elaborate on the devil. Who cares about him anyway?)

I remember as a kid I so wanted to have a magic wand and do fun things, so one day, to make myself into a princess, I ate a raw chicken heart. In the story, eating a raw heart of some bird was supposed to turn one into a princess. In cooking the chicken my grandmother looked all over for the chicken heart since she used the giblets for gravy.

I never turned into a princess.

0 Likes

Good thing the story you heard didn’t use a Ouija board.

0 Likes

Well reading Harry Potter as a kid never made me astonished at the devil so I don’t see your point.

Even a 5 year old reading Harry Potter can see that it’s a fictional world. Not reality.

0 Likes

You said that you would rather have illiterate children in Heaven than a child who could read in Hell. Seeing that you can’t provide me anything saying that reading fantasy will send you to Hell, I can’t say it is wrong to read it. And I also don’t see it as a bad decision since I never turned to witchcraft, séances, and such. Heck, never even dressed as a witch for Halloween. Doesn’t seem like you will be able to change my mind, bud.

0 Likes

I’m not trying to change your mind. I’m hoping to show other people in this forum, especially those who are reading it and genuinely curious about a Catholic perspective, to see that such fiction has the potential to be very dangerous to a child. I’m hoping that they see this amidst all your incredibly imprudent and rash advice. I’m incredibly saddened that a Catholic forum of all places is being so rash to people who are seeking Catholic answers, and I hope to God nobody on this forum takes your words as gospel or as some kind of authentic teaching or anything other than the random thoughts of someone who just happens to be on the internet.

0 Likes

And your advice isn’t random thoughts of someone on the internet? I’ve asked for Church teaching on the subject of reading literature in the fantasy genre. If the church doesn’t have a position on the subject, then reading such literature isn’t off limits. It is your personal opinion, not that of the church, that people shouldn’t read it.

0 Likes

I’m done with this incredibly silly thread.

0 Likes

Really Good Answer

0 Likes

Must be difficult to watch Harry Potter “without enjoying the witchcraft aspect”. Virtually all children’s stories (Brothers Grimm for example) have magic built in. Really can’t see why that should be anti-religious.

0 Likes

So basically, go to the wilderness and never read anything but the Bible and the Catechism and don’t do anything other than pray because anything else might be a sin even if there’s no reason for it to be considered a sin?

0 Likes

Even reading the Bible and Catechism can lead to errors, without the proper guidance of the Church.

Let’s face it, everything in this world is poisoned, since this is a fallen world. Virtue is cultivated through the Grace of God not in holing up somewhere isolated.

Heroic virtue, that which makes saints is not made through ignorance of evil but in full knowledge of good and evil and with the grace of God choosing good.

I will have to agree that books on magic may pose risks to children not fully formed in the faith but for fully discerning adults.it should pose no problems.

0 Likes

That may be true for those who are firm in their faith. But for those who are looking for an opportunity to disbelieve and to flirt with the near occasion of sin, it could become their misunderstood mantra and ultimately their downfall.

0 Likes

There is nothing wrong with Harry Potter. It does NOT promote “real” witchcraft or magic in any sense…it is pure fantasy. Not only that, but it has strong Christian themes (which Rowling, the author, who grew up Presbyterian, has acknowledged). Consider the following:
-Only those characters who are BORN magical can practice magic…they aren’t just ordinary humans learning spells…they ARE magical.
-There is no invocations of spirits or demons or external sources of power…the magic is “natural” to magical beings (including those few humans who are BORN as wizards).
-The books constantly promote friendship, self-sacrifice, and love.
-In the world of Harry Potter, self-sacrificial love is the most powerful magic. Harry’s mother’s death for her son Harry is what saved him from the Dark Lord’s curse. The idea that “love conquers all” is very present throughout the series. Dumbledore even speaks of seeking “refuge” in the mother’s blood to save Harry. VERY Christian language.
-Harry himself becomes a Christ-like figure…he dies and rises again (in a sense) to save his friends and after his sacrifice the Dark Lord has no power over his friends…Rowling has admitted the Christian themes here.

It is fantasy pure and simple. If Harry Potter is immoral, so is Narnia and Lord of the Rings.

0 Likes

courageouspriest.com/harry-potter-corrupts-children
Harry Potter is satanic. They have actual black magic spells in the book(s). There were kids who got possessed by just reading Harry Potter. A woman burned her house down by reciting a spell in Harry Potter. There is a reason exorcists condemn the Harry Potter series. This video has good insight on the darkness of Harry Potter: m.youtube.com/watch?v=3yxovCJ4d_U
To say there is nothing wrong with Harry Potter is the same as saying there is nothing wrong with the Occult.

0 Likes

Not to a child who is raised with any common sense. Now, if you insist on raising children not to have any common sense, then you should definitely keep them away from ALL fiction. Goodness, they might read “Little Women” and decide to run off to live in a garret and write – oh, the horror! – fiction.

I’m incredibly saddened that a Catholic forum of all places is being so rash to people who are seeking Catholic answers, and I hope to God nobody on this forum takes your words as gospel or as some kind of authentic teaching or anything other than the random thoughts of someone who just happens to be on the internet.

And we hope the same – that nobody on this forum takes your words “as gospel or as some kind of authentic teaching or anything other than the random thoughts of someone who just happens to be on the internet.”

0 Likes

Where did you get this claim from? What kind of “magic”?

0 Likes

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.