Is work 'carrying ones cross'?

I have an awful job and I get treated like dirt all day.

If I change jobs, I may have to work on the weekends.

I don't know what to do, this job and the people around me make my life a misery.

I have never known a job like this and people to match.

I'm at the end of my tether.

Oh I have been in this situation friend, had my share of lousy jobs. Your "cross" is providing for your family, just as Christ told to do. Keep looking for something better, improve your qualifications, and when you are able leave this job. Dont assume the next job will be worse. You are in my prayers.

First, sometimes growing a backbone and demanding fair treatment can help tremendously.

Make a detailed record, if you get fired over it, demanding to be treated like a human then you have a lawsuit and won't have to work for the rest of your life.

sorry, I was assuming that you keep this job to feed your family. Could you elaborate on your reasons?

[quote="Nelka, post:1, topic:232776"]
I have an awful job and I get treated like dirt all day. If I change jobs, I may have to work on the weekends. I don't know what to do, this job and the people around me make my life a misery. I have never known a job like this and people to match. I'm at the end of my tether.

[/quote]

Is work 'carrying one's cross'?

I'm self employeed in a service profession with 24/7 emergency responce. There is no "Off" button. As most self employeed people will tell you, their work becomes their life.

Upon my retirement (if I ever do) I'm smashing my cellphone with a 15 lb. sledgehammer.

[quote="SeaShoreGirl, post:3, topic:232776"]
First, sometimes growing a backbone and demanding fair treatment can help tremendously.

[/quote]

It's got nothing to do with a backbone.
I am not afraid of people at my level but those above me can destroy me with their authority and demanding fair treatment I have been over tirelessly but this gets me nowehere.

I had the back of my hand slashed with a knife at work (they use knives on the production line) from my thumb knuckle to my little finger knuckle. Why? Because I am not welcome in this department, I came from another department and the man who did that to me saw me as a threat to his particular job.

I don't work in a nice little office where somebody eats my sandwiches.

The factory is run like a prison, about 50% of the workers there are from prison.

The main person who causes trouble was inside for ten years, rape and attempted murder, if you argue with him and he states that he will pay your wife a visit, do you continue to argue with him with his track record or just take it?

[quote="Nelka, post:6, topic:232776"]
It's got nothing to do with a backbone.
I am not afraid of people at my level but those above me can destroy me with their authority and demanding fair treatment I have been over tirelessly but this gets me nowehere.

I had the back of my hand slashed with a knife at work (they use knives on the production line) from my thumb knuckle to my little finger knuckle. Why? Because I am not welcome in this department, I came from another department and the man who did that to me saw me as a threat to his particular job.

I don't work in a nice little office where somebody eats my sandwiches.

The factory is run like a prison, about 50% of the workers there are from prison.

The main person who causes trouble was inside for ten years, rape and attempted murder, if you argue with him and he states that he will pay your wife a visit, do you continue to argue with him with his track record or just take it?

[/quote]

First off, get a tape recorder and keep it in your pocket. This is America, not the middle east.

I didn't say you worked in a nice office where someone is stealing your sandwiches.

I have worked in heavy highway road construction. At the time I was a 18yo who looked 11 and was surrounded by men who knew I was only hired to fill a quota of state mandated female and minority workers. And they knew if I got "fired" they could get away with their harrassing jokes and also get more overtime becuase there was one less person working. I have been called a tasty bit of tail. But I knew my rights even then and let them know that messing with me would make their lives worse, not mine, and that even if their supervisor was sympathetic, the manager of the company did NOT want to go on the local CBS issuing a statement about me being harassed.

You were injured by another worker and you reacted in fear. You should of gone to the hospital and reported it. It's unacceptable.

What you're stating is this puts your life at risk. You really need to wise up. I doubly state. GROW A BACKBONE! No job is worth your life.

You don't argue. You state your boundaries. You record, report and moniter. There are legal ways if you "need" to keep this job. If not stand up for yourself. You're letting the bully win.

[quote="SeaShoreGirl, post:7, topic:232776"]
First off, get a tape recorder and keep it in your pocket. This is America, not the middle east.

I didn't say you worked in a nice office where someone is stealing your sandwiches.

I have worked in heavy highway road construction. At the time I was a 18yo who looked 11 and was surrounded by men who knew I was only hired to fill a quota of state mandated female and minority workers. And they knew if I got "fired" they could get away with their harrassing jokes and also get more overtime becuase there was one less person working. I have been called a tasty bit of tail. But I knew my rights even then and let them know that messing with me would make their lives worse, not mine, and that even if their supervisor was sympathetic, the manager of the company did NOT want to go on the local CBS issuing a statement about me being harassed.

You were injured by another worker and you reacted in fear. You should of gone to the hospital and reported it. It's unacceptable.

What you're stating is this puts your life at risk. You really need to wise up. I doubly state. GROW A BACKBONE! No job is worth your life.

You don't argue. You state your boundaries. You record, report and moniter. There are legal ways if you "need" to keep this job. If not stand up for yourself. You're letting the bully win.

[/quote]

I would never get a tape recorder into the factory, nothing but the uniform is allowed in, they check for jewellry as people come in, no pockets.

Not sure what the cbs is but we don't have stuff like that in England to my knowledge.

The difference between me now and you when you were 18 is, I presume, being single or having wife and children. If I were 18 and single I would never have got a job here, if I had, I would have left and got something better, it has nothing to do with backbone, I am happy to argue or fight with them but firstly I will lose my job and secondly I wouldn't be a very good catholic would I?

We have a union but they are corrupt, the union rep. is this man I talk about, he wields more power than the boss, I have even heard him shouting at the boss and the boss backs down.

I have never worked anywhere like this in my life, not to this level, there is always somebody at every workplace who is an idiot or bully (physical or through position) but this place is wierd.

Anyway, the question is mainly do I leave for a better job that makes me work on sundays or do I just put up with it?

If they were attacking me for being a catholic I would be happy to take it, with a smile but for their reasons it doesn't do it for me.

[quote="SeaShoreGirl, post:7, topic:232776"]
This is America, not the middle east.

[/quote]

His/Her profile says England. This sounds like a Dickens story. I also guess the OP is young and does not have a family.

Move on to a new job. I cannot believe you cannot report this to the police. In the US some one treated like this would report this then sue the company for lost wages and the perpetrator for assault with a deadly weapon.

[quote="dconklin, post:9, topic:232776"]
I also guess the OP is young and does not have a family.

[/quote]

What is OP?

[quote="Nelka, post:10, topic:232776"]
What is OP?

[/quote]

original poster

I don't know about labor practices in the UK, but in the US, you should be able to go straight to your union for protection on the job from harassment and work injury (assuming you're a union member). And if the union rep. really has as much power as you say, then there should be no question of you getting the protections you need (from this other worker) through management and union working together.

Anyway, the question is mainly do I leave for a better job that makes me work on Sundays or do I just put up with it?

Find a job better suited to you. Keep applying.

If all that is available right now, is this job requiring you to work weekends, can you attend Mass with your children on Saturday?

[quote="Nelka, post:8, topic:232776"]
I would never get a tape recorder into the factory, nothing but the uniform is allowed in, they check for jewellry as people come in, no pockets.

Not sure what the cbs is but we don't have stuff like that in England to my knowledge.

The difference between me now and you when you were 18 is, I presume, being single or having wife and children. If I were 18 and single I would never have got a job here, if I had, I would have left and got something better, it has nothing to do with backbone, I am happy to argue or fight with them but firstly I will lose my job and secondly I wouldn't be a very good catholic would I?

We have a union but they are corrupt, the union rep. is this man I talk about, he wields more power than the boss, I have even heard him shouting at the boss and the boss backs down.

I have never worked anywhere like this in my life, not to this level, there is always somebody at every workplace who is an idiot or bully (physical or through position) but this place is wierd.

Anyway, the question is mainly do I leave for a better job that makes me work on sundays or do I just put up with it?

If they were attacking me for being a catholic I would be happy to take it, with a smile but for their reasons it doesn't do it for me.

[/quote]

I would get out. I was abused by someone like that, who said that he would burn down my home with my (childhood) family in it if I said anything. It was reported and b/c people handled it very carefully, I was not harmed, but he was correct in saying he was above the law. He was a prominent person. However he may have had a record of mental health treatment under coercion which raises forensic issues. He'd been viewed as dangerous for a long time.

The person you work with is not necessarily going to escalate the behavior but he's already creating an atmosphere of fear and is injuring you. I think the psychological stress is too much. If you have a chance to see someone confidentially, such as a social worker who works for a prison who will listen and just give advice as long as you don't provide detail, that might help. As for the chance this guy might carry out his threats, I don't know but it seems awful to be living like that.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.