is working on sunday a sin?

is it a sin to work on sundays? as long as you don’t miss mass of course.

and i’m talking about more nonessential work, such as at the mall or restaurants or coffee shops.

and if this is a sin, wouldn’t it be wrong to go to those places on sundays if you are not working, because it causes someone else to have to work?

just trying to get a few more opinions. and trying not to fall in to scrupulosity. and yes, i’ve read the catechism about it.

I don’t think so, as long as you can go to Mass either on Saturday night or Sunday outside of working hours:shrug:

If it was a sin then none of us who work in parishes would have a job.

I don’t know the exact moral breakdown of this, but I try to avoid shopping as much as possible on Sunday. If you actually went yourself,I I don’t know if that would be sin. I suppose it would be if you were capricious about it, but really who’s like that?

Restaurants and (I would even go out on a limb and say coffee shops) are actually okay to be open and attended on Sunday.

It’s not as simple as that. It’s not that the Church says no employment may ever be done Sunday.

I know. It was a small attempt at humor. the boards have been pretty dismal today. :blush:
Sorry.

My opinion would be that, if you are employed by someone else, you really don’t have much of a choice in the matter whether you work on Sunday or not (because it could come down to either working on Sunday or not working at all). However, if you are your own boss in a non-essential field, I would advise against it.

what would be the difference between restaurants and coffee shops and other things though?

If we need to work on Sunday then it’s okay.

Jesus said in Mark 2:27,
“The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.